what formula should i choose?

my 2 month old daughter currently drinks the enfamil lipil w/ iron but lately she hasn't been able to keep it down and has been very gassy (but shes always been gassy shes just worse now), i went to the doctor and he said to change her formula. he suggested prosobee but wic suggested gentlease...which one should i go with? please no bashing about my choice to not breastfeed.

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 5:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was the same way. He did okay on ProSobee but it made him constpiated. He's been on Gentlease for about 3 months now and does great with it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I used prosobee and I didnt like it because it smelled and I dont know just didnt like it much. I used Isomil instead which is also soybased. The powdered form was not clumpy like the prosobee. I would go with a soy based product first and then if that doesnt work maybe use the other. Thats what I did anyway.

Answer by gemgem at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would try gentlease first- it's easier to digest and should help with the gas too. Soys don't tend to help a lot because if she happens to have a problem with milk she will probably have a problem with soy... so a more broken down formula might help.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would go with the doctor's suggestion. If it is a problem with the milk based formula, gentlease isn't going to help. Switching to soy will.

If it's just a matter of needing something more gentle, then the gentlease will work. I've had a son on each one.

But then the WIC people here are idiots...I don't know about those in your area....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Is Gentleease and Prosobee pretty much the same? I know like Similac Advance and Enfamil Lipil are pretty much the same, just different brands. They say it is kinda like Coke and Pepsi. LOL If Gentlease has the same ingredients as the Prosobee that the doc recommended then it would probably be ok to go with that since WIC will cover it.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• To AlliO2:

Gentlease and ProSobbe are both Enfamil. ProSobee is the soy based formula and Gentlease is just the reduced lactose one! :-)
    Anonymous

• My son was on Similac and was very gassy. We tried Good Start with no luck. Then we tried Enfamil Gentlease and it worked great for us. An added bonus is that Sam's Club makes their brand, Member's Mark, of infant formula that is an identical match to Enfamil Gentlease. You get a 48oz. jar for only $27.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think it is perfectly fine not to breastfeed. I went straight for the bottle with my second child.
    All 3 of my children were different when they were or went to formula (lactose intolerant, weight loss, allergies, etc) that I can't remember what we ended up on. In fact, we were on WIC and every time the pediatrician changed their formula I had to bring his change on a prescription to the WIC office so they could issue me new checks with that formula name. I know that 2 of my babies eventually ended up on Isomil.
    I hope you find one that works well for your baby and is affordable. Best wishes. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My cousin did a goat's milk formula she made herself every day. The World Health Organization puts goat's milk and formula on the same level nutritionaly. Send me a message if you want more info. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We switched from Enfamil Lipil to Enfamil Gentlease when our son was about 6 weeks old. He was constantly constipated and very gassy. Ever since he has been great, although, we also give him karo syrup every 4-5 days or else he'll start getting a little constipated, but nothing like before. Talk to your doctor about it.
    Anonymous