is it bad not to take your prenatal pills?

I cant swallow them they are to big and when i smash them it grosses me out...and i throw up. i take care of my self. is this bad?

vmoran06

Asked by vmoran06 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As long as you are eating a good diet and getting plenty of all of the vitamins, calcium and folic acid you and your baby need then you should be ok. You may want to ask your doctor if there is another one he can recommend that is not so big.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i personally dont think so.. mine made me sick no matter what i took or when i took it... so i didn't take after the first few weeks. i did drink a lot of OJ and ate a flintstone viatmin ( gummy) when i gave one to my older child.
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 5:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My Ob said if I couldnt swallow the pills or they made me sick (which they did) I could take 2 flinstone vitamins and an iron supplement.

Answer by gemgem at 5:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• No.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I was on chewable prenatals, but can't remember what they were called. The taste wasn't too bad.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I didn't take mine very often with my first (once a week maybe)
    I haven't taken them in week with this pregnancy. I feel way better without them.
    As long as you are eating healthy you'll be fine. Don't forget to get some more folic acid (which is in bread and most cereals)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i take 2 flintstone vitamins because i couldn't swallow the prenatal..it was what my ob told me to do
    SaraNicole715

Answer by SaraNicole715 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• chew 2 flinstones and take a folic acid pill. It's bad to not take any vitamins because the average person does not get enough nutrients daily, or folic acid, to have a healthy pregnancy.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I took prenantals for a while, but didn't like swallowing the big pill. So instead I took Flintstones. They have the recommended amount of folic acid in each serving, so you can't go wrong. But I didn't take them that often and I think I stopped taking all prenatal vitamins when I was 4 months along. My son is healthy, so I'm not too worried about not taking them now.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Tell your ped., ask for samples of other pre-natals...taking vitamins is so very very important during pregnacy! I've heard of some women taking kid vitamins too- but I would try other real prenatals first.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 6:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009