Is it true that it is harder to lose baby fat while you are breastfeeding?

I had my baby 9 months ago, i am still breastfeeding her, my baby fat seems to be clinging and not wanting to let go. A friend of mine had her baby a month before i did, she did not breast feed and all of her baby fat seems to be gone!

CarinaM19

Asked by CarinaM19 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I actually have heard the it is EASIER to loose while breastfeeding. But I'm sure everyone is different.
    Anonymous

• Well I am breastfeeding my 13 month old and lost most of my weight in the first 6 months...I am now trying to hold onto some fat...but struggling! I got down to 10% body fat and now am up to 14%
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Breastfeeding uses calories. Your friend has the freedom to try unhealthy diets.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have lost 51 pounds since my daughter was born and I'm breastfeeding. I gained 26 pounds while I was pregnant. I had a lot of weight I needed to lose though.
    Tara0508

Answer by Tara0508 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• your body is still storing the calories, as reserves. you probably won't lose all the extra fat until 3-6m after stopping the breast feeding
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• That's odd. Usually breast feeding makes you lose it faster. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They always suggest that you breastfeed to loose baby weight.....I also have had people tell me after so many months you cant call it "baby fat" anymore
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I lost 80 lbs in the two weeks after I had the baby. Some of that was right away after the baby was born (no more 9 lb baby in my tummy) but I was back to my pre-pregnant weight within two weeks, bc I breast fed. Most women can loose all but the last ten lbs or so when they're breast feeding. That's bc your body holds on to it in case of some "emergency" where you need that fat to feed the baby. So that being said, go ahead and breast feed for weight, but know that you won't loose it ALL... just most of it!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 8:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I actually lost my baby fat faster when I was breastfeeding.
    BloomingJen

Answer by BloomingJen at 7:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I definitely lost weight easier while breastfeeding. Two weeks after having my twins I was 10 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. Breastfeeding was the best diet I have had lol!
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 11:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009