My 3 month old daughter is pinching and scratching and it hurts!

It amazes me how strong she is, she leaves welts on my arms when she pinchs and scratches! Its kind of embarassing, I took her to my 90 y/o grandmothers house, and while she was holding her she was scratching the heck out of her arms, I felt so bad! Of course she said she didnt mind...but still. Is this some kind of phase?? Or is she angryor stressed or something?? She smiles all the time and is giggling a little already, shes a happy baby and doesnt cry ever. Shes beginning to grab everything and try to put it in her mouth, blankets, stuffed animals, her clothers...could she be teething already and in pain?? New mom here just looking to see if anyone has suggestions, thanks.

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 5:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like my son. I have a 91 yr old grandmother and I get so nervous when he tries to pull/scratch her skin and hair. He's got freakin claws.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter still does this from time to time and she is 6 months. She was worse before. I don't think it is anger or stress. I think that they are not experimenting with all their limbs and sometimes are not even aware of all they are doing. I have always said, "Gently, Please." as I gently take her firm grip out of my hair or as I unlatch her fingers from my skin. I think sometimes she can understand me now when I say, "Gently, Please" because she detaches herself. I think it is a good word for her to know and in another 6 months or less I'm confident that teaching her this concept will pay off. This isn't strange behavior and people who hold her will understand. I think all babies go through this! :)
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 6:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My guy does this is well, though I don't believe it is in any way intentional. Keep the nails cut (or use no-scratch mittens) and hopefully you can get by unscathed until baby is done with this phase. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my son does it too.. i have to keep his nails short or he'll draw blood... he's also scratched his face... but the pinching is the hardest thing to fix... i just tell him that it hurts and to be nice and move his hands.. he's almost 5 months and i think he's starting to get it.... just use a nice soft voice and tell your DD that it hurts and to be nice or gentle... and move her hands to a toy or something... i hope that helps!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• mine too!! she's 4 m/o and boy is she a violent little thing. usually when she gets excited or mad. But she's has left some marks!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009