A question for moms who breast feed full term...?

I BF my DD til she was 11 1/2 months, and she is VERY smart, she is as smart as the average 2 y/o. And I wanted to B/F my next (which we are going to try for in a few months) til at least til the age of two. But when I was talking about this with one of the nurses that checks babies development she said "no, that makes babies develope slower" and she was talking about it meaning they will not be as smart as if I only breast fed for a year. I know that sounds stupid, but she does this for a career!! So I was wondering if there was any truth to this at all???
I know it sounds stupid, but why would she say it then...?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 5:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Exactly...why would she say it if it wasn't true?
    Anonymous

• They told me my son couldn't possibly roll over to his side, consistently, at 4 days old, that was... until they had him in the nursery for a week and they were telling us about it, HA! "Professionals" don't know everything!
    Anonymous

• K think how smart a kid is depends on the genes and how the parents interact. Breast feeding is great.. but with all the advancements in formula it's "medically" "just as good" my friend didn't brestfeed her daughter who is now three, I swear she is a lttle genius! my son is three and he is very smart... but not as smart as she is!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 5:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If you really want to know the answer, research it. You will get all kinds of information by asking this. Some will say, "A professional said it, it must be true". Some will say "The professional that said this was misinformed".
    Many doctors and nurses are not well educated on the subject of breastfeeding. I suggest speaking to a lactation consultant, or a La Leche League leader, whom can point you in the direction of correct information.

I think the professional who told you this was either full of shit, or misinformed herself.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• That is very much not true. Look on kellymom.com and llli.org and get yourself some REAL information on the benefits to extended breastfeeding. I have nurse my first until she weaned at 15 months and my second is 2 1/2 years and still going. Everyone who meets them, including their ped, as shocked at how verbal they are and how smart they are. Please go on the web sites I mentioned or talk to your local Le Leche league in order to educate yourself and find what you think is best for your kids. But the nurse you talked to is definatly wrong, there is nothing that can be said negatively about nursing past one year--it only gives you child more of a wonderful thing.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Intelligence has nothing to do with breast or bottle milk.
    As far as breastfeeding your child - you do it for as long as you want to and don't give that nurse another thought. She is not a licensed statistic reporter and her opinion is just one of many.
    Every person's intelligence is different and there is no rhyme or reason to it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• That nurse is an IDIOT. The World Health Organization recommends breast feeding until AT LEAST the age of two. I am.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I breastfed my son until he was three and a half. he learned to read at three and now at five reads at about a fifth or sixth grade level, and does second grade math and grammar. he has a very impressive vocabulary and grasp on the nuances of language.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't be writing this on here, I'd be writing a letter to the hospital that employs the nurse and inform them of the potentially harmful information this nurse is pushing around.
    Anonymous

• breastmilk has been known to raise a child's iq by a few points but that in no way determines the overall iq or the overall intelligence of the child for that matter.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/06/science/sci-breastfeed6
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009