At what age is it legal for a child to be home alone?

I'm trying to find out what age it is LEGAL for a child to be home alone for LESS than 30 minutes, with access to both parent's phone numbers of course? My oldest is almost 12, and doesn't always want to go with me when I have to go pick my hubby up from work. We live on an military base in base housing, and my hubby works like 10 minutes away, and my child is extremely responsible for an almost 12 year old, but I am unsure of the rules with that. Don't want to do ANYTHING illegal to get my hubby in trouble lol! BTW that would be the only occasion for being home alone is for me to run to pick up my hubby and be back within 20 minutes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• In some states there are no laws, but its up to the parents to know when they are responsible enough to stay on their own or not. I have 5 kids and I left my kids home alone at around 14 yrs old. It wasnt that I didnt trust them it was that so much can happen in a matter of minutes that I didnt want to worry about those types of things. But legally my friend had her kids stay with their dad in the summer he left them on their own while he worked. He had to check in on them every 3 hours, give them emergency numbers, his work number, and have a neighbor handy by law.

Answer by gemgem at 6:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• In Colorado it is 12 to stay home alone, and 15 to babysit.
    Anonymous

• You're on a military base...you have to check with the base.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009