can i give my 6 1/2 yr old daughter one 200mg tab of ibuprofen?

brynnowens

Asked by brynnowens at 1:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. It says on the bottle one tablet for people 12 and older. Not for 6 year olds.

Call your pharmacist and ask them what you can give. You can discuss what medications you have and how much to give.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2011

• It depends on weight
    I believe at that age a dose is 125mg
    She should have the liquid stuff,not a tablet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 1, 2011

• Our boys Dr lets them have one every 6-8 hours depending if it's a fever or a headache. Our youngest is 72 lbs, and 8 yrs old but he's been taking one since he was 6. Call your Ped and ask if you're worried.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2011

• An average 6 1/2 year old can have 5 - 50mg chewable tabs of ibuprofen....that is over 200 mg. Yes.....she can have one. It's WAAAAAY harder to OD on ibuprofen anyway. If it were Tylenol, you definitely need to be more cautious. Tylenol is a lot easier to OD on.

If you don't believe me google it....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2011

• I wouldnt I"m not sure of the weight limit thing, but I"m pretty sure your child is too young. Call the dr or pharmacist.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2011

• It would depend on her weight. My 67 lb 6 yr. old has been getting 200 mg of ibuprofen for over a year per his neurologist.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2011