What are some creative activities I can incorporate to lure my sons away from video games?

I have two step-sons who were allowed to play video games 24-7. I am totally against it. I think kids need to be creative, explore, discover and interact on a more intellectual level. I want to incorporate more activities that are conducive to creativity and education. Are there any ladies out there with the same feelings as me on this? Any suggestions on how I can incorporate more non-video-game related creative, fun activities? My step-sons are 13 and 9.

TheEmpress78

Asked by TheEmpress78 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hi hon! I KNOW...my 5 yr. old son is already addicted. WTF....I always try and think of new outdoors stuff to play and that usually pulls him away quick. Or I tell him if he stays away from the playstation he can earn star stickers or points every day and use them to buy a toy. Seems to help...good luck....my daughter, the wise one, says "I wish it was like it was back in the day before electricity, we could all be together all the time and play games and do more stuff together". She really got me thinking...
    WillowSoul

Answer by WillowSoul at 6:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Girl, my son's act like I'm inflicting Corporal Punishment if I tell them to go outside and play. That's foreign concept to them! WTF is right!!!! Your daughter totally thinks the way I do. I love sitting down and playing board games and cards and stuff. I would also like to do more artsy stuff and baking-type things. I'm at wits-end with this video game crap. They are the devil. LOL
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'd take the games away and make them come to you to get them so you can monitor how much time is spent on them. My husband and I won't purchase video game equipement because our best friends have what I refer to as a mole child...he burrows into the basement with video games all day (he's homeschooled) and NEVER NEVER goes outside. Also my husband once worked with a guy who was an online gamer. He had a girlfriend and a new baby and he wouldn't take full time hours because it would conflict with his gaming schedule, so whatever you're going to do, do it fast and stand firm.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 6:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I only allow my sons nearly 16 and 18 to play on the weekends. When they're not working of course. During the week I take the XBox power cord and put it away. They can have it back Friday after school if they have completed any homework they may have. It gets taken up again Sunday evening. I'm not popular around here when I take it away but that's okay. I'm not overly concerned about my popularity. However, I'm popular again when it's dinner time...LOL!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• There is quite a bit of research on the results of children watching too much TV and playing video games. There are definite negative effects such as difficulty staying focused, completing school work, weight gain, etc. Children with ADD and ADHD are easily stimulated and the stimulation to the brain after playing video games can last several hours after playing. There does seem to be a direct correlation between TV and ADD and ADHD. I would only allow maybe one hour early the evening as an earned reward for good behavior and good grades. I would also require outside play when the weather is ok and join them in outside sports and games as a family. My family loves playing games inside and out. The WI is a good video game that can be played as a family.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We have a Super Fort by Cranium that is really neat. You can also look into Live Action Role Playing. It is like role playing videogames (like zelda) but the kids are actually the characters. Or if they're into shooting games maybe take them to play laser tag or paintball. Or just take the game console out of the room and they'll get creative on their own... ;]
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 10:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Car and airplane models
    Board games
    Sports of some sort - even if it's just them outside kicking around a soccer ball or throwing around a football
    Science experiment type kits
    Maybe they'd like to draw or paint or some other artistic type thing?
    Music? Guitar/drums/keyboard?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh you ladies are wonderful! Thank you for the suggestions! I definitely like the Science experiment kit idea. My oldest has expressed interest in guitar, and I have an accoustic/electric that I am thinking about letting him learn on.

They are not allowed to play video games during the week at all and I have severely limited week-end play. Please believe that if the sun is shining, they are outside. I'm not popular either...until breakfast or dinner LOL but they will thank me later.

Thanks again for all your suggestions! :)
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Make a fort in the house!!! OMG...me and my brothers used to do this when my mom went to work and it was like the most fun I'd had in my entire childhood! we would move the sofas close to the wall and wedge the cushions on top to create a tunnel behind the couch. Then we would place the dining room chairs in strtegic locations near the couch and drape every blanket and sheet we could find over them to finish off the tunnel. In addition to playing freeze tag in the fort, we would make dozens of paper balls and launch them at each other from behind the various "walls".  If my mom knew we were doing that, she would have freaked!!!  We never got caught inthe act but we eventually told her about it not to long ago.  It was amazing...and it takes me back.

majesticchild

Answer by majesticchild at 10:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Ha! That's amazing!!!! LOL My sister and I did the same thing!!! It was great!
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009