Ellptical or Bike?

i recently hurt my knee and have been slowly starting to exercise again. i have to do low impact exercise so i choose either the elliptical or the bike but which one is better?

on the elliptical i use #4 incline and #2 resistance for my steady heart rate (4 minutes). then #8 incline with #8 resistance for my working heart rate (4 minutes). it goes for 3 cycles. i burn 250 calories but dont sweat much. and i dont feel it in my legs afterwards like i would like to.

on the bike, it adjusts the resistance so that my heart rate is first 120 for 4 minutes, then it adjust the resistance so my heart rate is 150 or so for another 4 minutes. it goes through 3 cycles. i sweat my buns off on the bike, and i dont mind. i feel like i'm really getting a work out. BUT i only burn about 95 calories with the bike.

so which should i do? i'm thinking the bike because i feel more, but i'd like someone wo has a little experience to help me out. thank you!!

madismummy

Asked by madismummy at 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• In my experience (I could be wrong but this is what I have personally noticed)
    The eliptical works more of your body because your arms are moving as well as your legs, do the eliptical and pedal backwards and my god your but will be awsome in no time. I still am about 20 lbs heavier than pre baby but my ass looks great :)
    hahaha...My hubby commented on how my legs and but are bigger, but solid, firm and no CELLULITE (we were at the beach and I was worried because there was this skinny girl with a cottage cheese butt and I was like OMG what does my butt look like?!)
    also its not hard on your knees or ankles!
    urromancelady

Answer by urromancelady at 7:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• The elliptical is lower impact than a bike, but still works your muscles very effectively. If you're nursing an injury, keep going with the elliptical to strengthen the muscles in your legs. In time this will take pressure off your knee and you will eventually be able to alternate your cardio to do the bike, as well.

I would also highly recommend some weight training. Start out light so that you don't re-injure the knee. I had knee problems when I started working with a trainer several months ago and now I can do anything without any pain or soreness! (Squats & lunges are a good place to start.)
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2008