40th birthday decorations?

I am throwing a surprise 40th birthday for my hubby. I am used to throwing kid parties but not so much adult parties. I am not sure I want to do the whole "over the hill" theme. Does anyone have any suggestions for decorating for a 40th birthday party. I want it to be adult looking and not so colorful that it looks like he just walked in on one of our kids' parties.

Also, what kind of food would you serve?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Entertainment

• Just be tasteful please. I went to an "over the hill" party recently for a friend and the person just cringed every time they looked around. Decorate with fresh flowers and/or streamers and balloons in the birthday person's favorite color.
    Finger foods are good. Offer an assortment of appetizers from the freezer dept of your local grocery store as well as a vegetable assortment and dip tray and fresh fruit (strawberries, grapes, etc). And make the cake a show stopper! Maybe a two or three tier cake from your favorite baker. Something beautiful!
    ProfessorMomto2

Answer by ProfessorMomto2 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• How about a "This is Your Life" party. Put out photos of your husband every 5 years of his life (birth, 5 years old, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 and now). Tie an age-appropriate balloon to each picture, if you like. You can either decorate according to the ages or just do one unified color scheme with balloons and streamers (his favorite colors, the colors of his favorite ball team, mardi gras colors, whatever). Do the tasteful foods and cake suggested by ProfessorMom. Have people who knew him at those ages (family, long time friends, new friends) talk about what he was like at those ages, if you think they'd enjoy it.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Black and Purple Streamers, 40th Decorations from Party City, Pictures of him growing up, Lots of food, Cake, Band, and Liquor.
    BloomingJen

Answer by BloomingJen at 7:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009