STRETCH MARKS :(

Does anyone have any tips for reducing your chances of stretch marks??

blue7eyed3girl

Asked by blue7eyed3girl at 6:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I use Palmers Cocoa Butter. It works wonders for me :)
    KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They say you can use cocoa butter, but it didn't help me. Stretch marks are genetic. If your mom had them, then most likely you will too. I wear mine with pride and call them medals of motherhood. LOL They do fade with time and they say that Mederma can really help them fade.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Nothing..they are genetic..If your mom had them you will have them and there is nothing you can do to prevent or treat them. It is your "skins" genetic makeup.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Well I dont know yet if it works but I've been using Curel pregnancy & motherhood lotion.
    I do believe it has good potential though, it is advertised to give your skin more elasticity & it does make my skin feel like rubber,lol. I personally like!
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 6:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I tried Mederma, it does nothing.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Flat out---- there is nothing.
    People say cocobutter and such but honestly and basically they are inevitable. If you are destined to get them you will get them no matter how much creams and medications you use, and no matter whether you scratch or not.
    It sucks. But once you get them you can use mederma to help them go away and it works great. They have lazer treatments but they are costly and use a few sessions depending on the scars. Just try to not gain too much weight (eat ealthy not diet). The pregnancy lotions are supposed to improve elasticity but you have to use it religiously a few times a day for it to really work and stock up on it cuz you will go through it like crazy. Good luck!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 7:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Most people that end up with them are genetically predisposed to getting them. However, you can slightly reduce the risk by drinking lots of water, using a good moisturizer, and keeping your weight gain in check. Pregnancy is not the time to diet, but you can gain weight healthily and you can gain weight not so healthily. Slow and steady will give your skin time to adjust (and then you know you're not just packing on the pounds unnecessarily). I gained 50 pounds while pregnant, a pound a week (sometimes slightly more) and didn't have any stretch marks. However, when I was in labor I swelled up a LOT, and my skin erupted with little purple lines. All of my hard work down the drain. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 7:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I wanted to add another comment onto what I had aleady written. When I use the cocoa butter it isn't to heal the streach marks, make them dissapear or anything of that sort. Once you get them your kind of stuck. The reason I use the cocoa butter everyday is to reduce the chances of getting more. It makes my skin kind of stretchy and so far at 38 weeks I don't have any new ones. Plus it smell really good. Everyone is different and some things work for some people while it won't for others. Good Luck dear!
    KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• This is my 2nd pregnancy 1st no stretch marks and now I have then but bad! So I know nothing will really get rid of them but you can reduce them. I have reduced my alot I use Jonson & Jonson baby lotion its called Vanilla Oatmeal and it smells SO GOOD!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You CANNOT prevent them. If you have enough elastin in your skin than you probably will not get them, if you don't you probably will. I was free and clear of them till my 7th month than...hello road map. I don't mind though, they fade with time and I look at them as my bragging rights. It's not really genetic either, my mother, grandmother, great grandmother so on and so on...on both sides never had them and I did.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009