If someone that is a stronger believer sins in your church

how do the elders deal with it and how are they allowed back in to serving in ministries? I have known some in this category so I was wondering how your church handles this.

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 7:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How do you think Jesus would deal with it. The bible is specific in how to deal with these people im the book of Matthew Chapter 18.
    I am all for forgiveness and restoration done correctly. The one you do not let return is the one that chooses to remain in sin. The callings are irrevocable according to the scripture.
    I have been in churches that handled things poorly and because of it one is still in the lifestyle. A pastor and his wife "apologised" to us for the affair he had and both got counseling and last I heard he is preaching again. Hopefully he is fully repentant! The key is to have them step down for a season, get biblical counsel and work toward being restorted back to whatever they were doing in the church before. The church as a whole also needs to forgive the person and what is done is past and lips need to be shut after that and move on to healing for the church!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well my ex step dad was like this. They didnt do anything at first and then ended up suspending him from ministries until he showed he had corrected what he had done. He was an alcoholic and beat my mom up when I was 12 and we ended up in the hospital and he also cheated. They didnt believe my mom at first it seemed like? Then when presented with the indisputable evidence told him he was not welcome to serve until he showed he had stopped drinking, stopped abusing women & stopped committing adultery. By then my mom filed divorce and they treated her like crap so we left the church. My understanding he left too and that was that.

Answer by gemgem at 7:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• in our church if someone who is holding a strong position can't return to his calling. that would be true for anyone serving a calling. in fact when you are asked to do a calling you have to be worthy. although in our church no one is paid they are asked to provide a service to god and i think if they abuse their calling they would be excommunicated from the church as well. who can serve god and commit severe sins? that would be the worst to do it in gods name wouldn't it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have no clue how to answer this. In my church, there is a homosexual couple (the mother of one of the men confirmed it), and one of them is an ordained minister! Then some of the members had the gall to judge dh and me for living together before we got married! Dh pulled me out of an abusive marriage, but we planned to get married ourselves as soon as it was legal, thus "fixing" the problem. These men have no intention of changing. Maybe other members don't know they are this way, but I've known it for years.

Go figure...
    Anonymous

• I was let go because the hospital was downsizing.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i'm not sure what you mean by stronger 'believer'..i'm guessing you mean someone with a more authoriative position, as in someone who is 'over' others in directing/teaching/discipleship? i'm sure it would have to be something that was criminal or known widespread, or that would truly go against the church's teaching/beliefs before they were actually asked to leave/step-down. i've known several 'sins' committed by members/elders/deacons/teachers/ministers that, when repented and accepted in christian love by the church, all was forgiven (as if its the church body's place to forgive). usually, the person decides to step-down from that position, out of self-regret..some leave and some don't.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Forgiveness and restoration sound good until you deal with a child-molester or when the trusted pastor has an affair with his secretary. Both of those things really happened at large non-denominational churches in our area. In both churches the elders reacted poorly and in one a huge split was the result. I heard the pastor went to counselling and then got another church. The child molester did not spend day one in jail. I assume he is still at it.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• In the church I grew up in, you are dealt with as an individual then you are sat down for a period of time. Meaning you are not allowed to work in no ministry in the church for a period of time. After that you are allowed to work in the ministry again. The bible says judgment begins in the house of God, we are first partakers of the Gospels and cannot afford to bring reproach upon the church. If you sin you are dealt with within the church boundaries.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 1:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009