How much to pay for chores?

We just got a Wii for Christmas and my 7yr old left one of the nun chucks on the floor and I told her to pick them up. Before you know it someone stepped on it and crushed the connector so it can't be used so we have to get a new one. I want her to pay for it so she is more careful with them.
I have a list of things that she does not normally do but i know that she can do. I am not sure how much to pay her for each one. The cost of a a new nun chuck is $20.

Clean bathrooms
clean windows
empty dishwasher
wash clothes
fold/put away laundry
empty trashcans
vacuum all rooms
sweep
mop

majustic

Asked by majustic at 7:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont pay them to do chores. When mine do something like yours did I give them one big job or two medium jobs to pay for it, like say wash my van inside & out. Fold all the weeks laundry and put it away. Do dishes for a week including pots and pans. I have found that leaves a much larger dent in their memory LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would say clean bathrooms and vacuum all floors once a week for a month...but that's me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• that is alot for a child to do.. my little sisters have to take out the trash do dishes and feed the animals everyday.. they get paid $20 a week
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• BTW..I do not pay for chores either. Your chores are part of your responsibility as part of the family. The job would have to be something outside their normal assigned jobs as the OP said. In my house they would also be grounded for A: not listening B: no video games for nopt taking care of it
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would assign different values to different jobs and let her choose. For example, emptying the dishwasher is worth a dollar, but vacuuming all rooms is worth 5. I think it's great that you're making her work to pay for them. This isn't the same as paying for chores. Your teaching her that things have value and that money means work. In the future, hopefully she will remember all that effort that went into paying for it and she will be more careful. Good luck!
    littlevic

Answer by littlevic at 8:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• we don't pay for daily chores only if we ask them to do something specific and big like picking up trash on our acre lot. if you start paying for chores now they will always expect it. if you want to pay them for everyday chores i would make it like .50 - 1.00 per chore
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Those are all standard household chores. I wouldn't pay for any of them - doing them is part of being in a family. Once a season type chores or extra help with special projects could earn a dollar.
    You might consider having her go through her things and have a garage sale to raise the money.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I don't pay the children to do chores. Chores are part of your obligation to the family and the household. I might pay for extra jobs above and beyond the normal chores when the children are trying to earn money for something, but I would never pay for their standard chores around the house.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009