Was anyone else obese when they became pregnant? Need advice!

I just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant with our second child. My BMI is around 55, which is considered morbidly obese. I just recently (about a month ago) started getting serious about my health: exercising regularly and trying to not eat so poorly. We tried for over a year to get pregnant and decided it probably wouldn't happen given my weight and overall health, but sure enough now I am.

Has anyone else gotten pregnant while obese? What were the recommendations by your doctor as far as weight, exercise, etc? Was the pregnancy normal or complicated? Was the baby healthy?

I'm ecstatic to be pregnant finally, but really scared too because of my weight. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was overweight during all three of my preganancies. My doctor told me that I didn't need to gain any weight, as long as the baby was growing. They watched me really close for gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, etc, but I never had any of it! I am sure I was healthier when I was pregnant than any other time during my life. I actually ended up losing weight during my first two pregnancies, and only gained 8lbs. during my third. Just try to eat healthy and stay active and you will be fine!
    Anonymous

• Congrats! I'm 4"11 and weigh 180 pounds. I don't know what my BMI is but I know I'm what's considered obese. It took hubby and I over a year to conceive with both my pregnancies. I had high blood pressure and Gestational Diabetes and was insuln dependent with my 1st. With this pregnancy I was diagnosed with GD very early(at 16 weeks) but haven't needed insulin yet. I'm trying very hard to control it with diet. You are at risk for more complications when your're overweight. My blood pressure skyrocketed at the end of my 1st pregnancy and had to be induced and ended with a C section. Just take it easy and try to be healthier. It sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck and congrats again!
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Your gonna be fine lol
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm 5'5 and weighed 200 when i got preggo. I never lost the baby weight.... and unfortunately I have gained 25 lbs at the 28 week mark. I think I would recommend trying to only gain 15 but it didn't work for me. My doc doesnt say much and you'll be fine too. Congrats!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I really don't want to sound stupid here but I don't know what the "guidelines" are to being obese vs. morbidly obese etc. I just know I was extremely over weight when I got pregnant with my third child. Like 236 or something and I'm 5'6" so you do the math. I actually was put on a calorie counting diet with all my pregnancies, but with particular one when my weight was at it's highest, I just started losing weight and I wasn't following the diet! I walked a little more and I think if you check with your doctor he or she will give you guidelines on the exercise-usually as long as you don't over do it they are glad to have you do some exercising;) My son was a very healthy and happy 8lb.3 oz baby.
    spencersgirl

Answer by spencersgirl at 7:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I know of two people who sucessfully gained no weight while being very large before prenancy. You can safely do it with a doctors knowledge and help , and you just have to eat right.Good luck.McBlondie
    mcblondie

Answer by mcblondie at 7:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm seriously overweight and I couldn't have had a more picture perfect textbook pregnancy. I had no GD, no preeclampsia, nothing. I only gained eight pounds and I didn't exercise.

I know it may sound like I'm bragging, but I want you to know that it *IS* possible to have a great pregnancy while being overweight. My only peeve is that I didn't show as soon as everyone else. I never looked pregnant from the front or the back, and I delivered at 40 weeks 6 days. Just talk to your doctor and they'll let you know what they expect from you. My doctor said he would be thrilled if I only gained 10 pounds, and I thought he was crazy...but whattaya know, I only gained 8.

Good luck, you should be just fine :oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Big women have babies everyday. I am bigger girl soo I understand, I am super scared of gaining to much weight. I am only 8wks but soo far I have lost 3lbs. I think thats becasue everything tastes bad so I really dont eat alot.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 9:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I was 5'4" and 242 when I got pregnant. I walked a lot and I was very careful about what I ate (except toward the end, when I had this overwhelming urge to bake). I lost 10 lbs in the first 30 or so weeks, and ended up gaining about 12 pounds through my pregnancy. It was uncomplicated, but my son wound up having his umbilical cord tangled around his torso and shoulders, so I had to have an emergency c-section. He was totally healthy, 7 lbs, 11 ounces.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I was overweight at the start of all 4 of my pregnancies. With my first I gained 7 lbs like the last month. With the second 2 I lost weight. I lost 3 lbs in a week, I go back to the dr in 2 days and will see where I'm at. I'm 11 weeks with number 4. You should be fine. I think that pregnancy is the best diet I have ever been on. I'm very careful of what I eat, and the morning sickness helps me not over eat. I got pregnant with my third when I did a trail membership at Curves, so I think that helped me conceive. GL!
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009