how can i get my son to sit still to read?

my son is 10 months old & i cannot get him to sit still or have any focus on reading a book. he'd rather eat the book or tear the pages out. he doesn't sit still for anything.

this is a concern for me because i know how important reading is for children. but i'm totally at a loss on what to do. any tips or suggestions?

msashleybear

Asked by msashleybear at 7:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• instead of reading at his age look at books and point out items (dog, cat, tree, house etc)
    Move on to reading in a few more months, choose short books to keep his attention.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Right! What Meshell said!

Now is more the time to introduce the concept of "books" not expect them to sit and read. And stay with their attention span. Let them call the shots. If you force it they could come to resent books/reading time.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• you're really suppose to just go with the flow and let them set the pace.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I dunno cuz my son is very alert and sits through short baby books since 3 mos. I'd say pick really short books and if he stops part way through let him. The pp was right...if you force him he'll hate it!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• This is SOOO typical.
    Remember that to him the STORY is not the important part. It's hearing the words, seeing you turning the pages, looking at the pictures - the physical part of reading. If you don't finish the story, so what? He doesn't know or care. But as long as he enjoyed watching you read the book then it was a good session.
    So, lay down on the floor, open that book and read it out loud while he plays nearby. Even if he never comes over to look at it, he is hearing the words.
    Also, pick a time when he might sit still. I mostly read to my daughter at naptime and bedtime. We snuggle down in a rocking chair and read a few stories before she goes to sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009