How old do you think is to old for a pacifier? I have an 8m old and my 22m old still on a pacifier its hard to take it from her when she sees her brothers shell just take it from his mouth.

mom2four25

Asked by mom2four25 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• They are both old enough not to have one in my opinion .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The longer they have it the harder it is going to be. My daughter had one til she was just over 2 years old and I think that was way too long. I took it away from her when I found out I was pregnant this time so she wouldn't try to take the babies. I had to go cold turkey on her and it took forever to get through the night without hearing about it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• JMO ! I think 1-2 years old where your to old to be using a pacifier. Maybe you could try to explain to her that the pacifier is for the little babies and try and get her interested in something that's more for "big girls". That's JMO though. I'm not sure how the whole pacifier thing really works my daughter never wanted one so we never use it.
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 7:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it too much. My son had his "binky" forever. We finally made a deal with him that if he would throw it away he could have any toy he wanted. He traded it for a Nintendo 64 game system.....LOL! Does that give you any idea how old he was?

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 7:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I took mine off the pacifier right before my daughter turned 1 yr.I think that children that are walking around with pacifiers after that are weird looking.
    Anonymous

• I saw an episode of Super Nanny where they were trying to take one of the kids( I think he was older than 2) off his pacifier. The had him put all the paci's in an envelope and mail them to the paci fairy who gives them to kids who need paci's. They walked out to the mailbox and put it inside and the next day there was an envelope filled with toy cars and there was glitter (fairy dust) and feathers in the mailbox when he went to check the mail. Kinda like the tooth fairy. I also had a friend who took the kids to family over the weekend and when they come back all the paci's were gone, while they were gone the dog ate them...and the boy didn't question it! I hope those ideas are helpful. But all in all I think if you are asking if he is too old, then you think he might be too old. Always use your own judgment.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think they are both fine. Neither is too old for a pacifier as long as : it is not affecting how their teeth are growing in; they are talking or making noises as appropriate. If you feel your daughter is to old, take it away and tell her. If not (and it is my opinion she is not too old) then let her be and just make her use her own and not take her brother's. :) BTDT. Above all, relax. She won't be walking down the aisle to her hubby to be with a pacifier.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i think you should just take them both away..my daughter only had one from 2months til 8 months..they dont NEED them..its just a way for parents to "shut their kids up" the quick and easy way..now im not saying youre doing that..im just saying thats why theres a lot of kids that are WAAY to old to have them!! and i think its wrong! i give funny looks to parents when i see their toddler suckin on a pacifier! its laziness on the parents behalf because they dont wanna deal with a crying kid for a couple days til they get used to not having it..so yaa..the earlier the better! and remember this is just MYYY opinion.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i dont think its to shut them up, its a soother. anyways, 8mo is fine, 22 month is borderline. could always "lose" them. i like the paci fairy idea too. 22 mo should understand the concept of that.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think 8 months is fine..but at around fifteen months the pacifier should be "lost" after that...I think that these two, three and sometimes four and older kids that walk around with a pacifier is just laziness on the parents part...my daughter gave up the pacifier at 14 months...they went in the trash and that was the end of it...jmo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2009