do you judge your church by what it provides and what it does for you today......

or by the way the church came to be? the history of. i see a lot of ex members say that they left their church cause the history was all made up of lies. i say who cares what the past holds. isn't what it teaches and what it brings to you today what matters? the values and morals that are taught and the blessings you get from it, isnt that what matters.

i know i will get bashed. oh well...i just wondered and would like to know why would you go by how the church came to be rather then what it does for you and your family. this is intended primarily for the mormon faith but others are welcome to answer if their church has a long history. most don't!

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• in other words, would i rather be a member of a church with a long-standing history of existence(famous, widely known, etc), or would i rather be a member of a church that fed me and my soul, helped me as a sinner saved by grace to live Godly, and helped me grow into what God wants me to be (as well as my family)? i'd pick a church that helped me, as i am today. analogy: decades-old established mom/pop drive-in that is well-known for its burgers and shakes, vs. new bistro that serves up a vegetable soup that i'm dying to try, is healthier, and am really hungry for...soup for me!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Well I'm a member of the Lutheran church but if you don't mind here is my opinion. I think ... ok and I know I might get bashed for this but here it goes. That if we live in a world where there was no such thing as religion wouldn't we still want to teach and practice good values, compassion, understanding, and all the other things we learn by going to church and practicing a faith . So the history part of it wouldn't matter since there is no religion in this world I'm talking about. I suppose I agree with you that the teachings and blessings matter more then the history.
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 7:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.. As to how I judge the church I attend...I do both.
    Churches are like mini cultures and knowing how it evolved lets one know at what stage of social developments it's currently at. Knowing the history easily shows the progress of spiritual learning or lack thereof as well. I prefer a church that learns readily from it's mistakes and is progressive in it's social structure. Values and morals are important but the lessons and experiences are the same ones from the past and the past shows the mistakes and the victories. I'd rather learn from them than to learn it on my own. I don't prefer the school of hard knocks.

But I'm puzzled. If you have no use for Church history, why restrict the question to churches with long history?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The pentecostal church has a very long history. My church only teaches the doctrine of the Apostles and it still works today. As long as they stick to bible Apostle doctrine I will stay. It has proven results.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 1:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• cause i'm asking about why the history is important and it seems now days that most churches are just made up when someone feels they should just start a church one day and bam there is one. so wanted views on why others feel history is important. does this make sense isabellalecour.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I go by what it teaches to day. My Pastor is a God-fearing, bible preaching man, and I will go to a church that has that. I want to know that my church will help me when I need it. In all aspects of my life, and that's what I get from my church.
    sharnos

Answer by sharnos at 12:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• melody77 Thanks for the clarification. It does make sense now.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009