Can you change a dogs name when its older?

I just inherited a Bichon Frise from my late Aunt. He is white! Well his name is Jack. and I'm wanting to give him a nickname. Something unique and different. If he can understand another name, could you please give me some ideas.
thanks a bunches

Trish1984

Asked by Trish1984 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Yes you can change their name.Just keep using the new name and maybe use a few treats too.

Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• it would be easier if it sounds like Jack..dogs have a distorted sense of hearing..its kind of like if you stick you head underwater and someone talks to you...we had a golden retriever when i was a kid, its name was sneakers and my mom hated it so she changed the dogs name to snickers..and the dog responded...and like the pp said..use some treats..the dog will catch on. good luck :)
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 9:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, our dogs have many names (nicknames). The trainer said they only hear/understand/respond to the first 2 syllables of a word anyhow.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 12:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If the new name sounds something like the old name it will work. You said his name is Jack, so go with something similar like Pat or Mac or the like, and it will be fine. It helps if he doesn't really come to his name anyway, you can teach him the new name, and if he's happy living with you, he won't mind what you call him.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• LOL We just got a 10 year old Bichon from my dad and we were thinking the same thing. Ours is named Kiki, but he's a male. My husband HATES the name! I'll have to talk to him about changing it.
    ilovemyjoes

Answer by ilovemyjoes at 1:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• thats too cute ilovemyjoes...cause my dd nickname is kiki...yeah i can see why your husband doesnt like it, sounds more for a female...
    Trish1984

Answer by Trish1984 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The best way to do this is to change it to something similar to Jack, or at least try. Dogs respond to makes that are strong and usually 1 syllable, such as Jack, Sam, etc. So a name such as Sarah might not have as much impact as a name like Daisy, because Daisy sounds stronger and is easily recognizable by the dog :) Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2009