Getting the house clean while pregnant!

I'm exhausted, but I need my house clean. Does anyone know what I can use to get my house clean without using any chemicals? What can I use on wood floors? And what do I use to clean all my daughters toys? I have Clorox anywhere hard surface spray that I use AFTER I clean everything to sanatize, is it really safe? Please help!

Mrs.Wills

Asked by Mrs.Wills at 8:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • I buy my protects from a natural food store. They have a lot of cleaners that have zero chemicals in them. See if you can find a store and go browse; they have everything from all purpose sprays, to floor cleaner to laundry soap.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Definitely change your cleaning products. I personally use a specific companies products that I like. I would not use the cleaners from Wal-Mart, Target--I would go to either a Natural Food Store or if you need info, PM me and I can tell you what I use. I will say, that I switched when I was pregnant and am so happy I made that choice. Your body knows what it should and should not have by reactions to it, headaches, nausea, etc.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 8:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Here is a website to make your own cleaners from household items: it works.

http://www.lifescript.com/Life/Timeout/At-home/22_Effective_Baking_Soda_Uses.aspx

there are several articles about other household items that can work as cleaners you will find them on this site. All of them are safe with children and while pregnant.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Its a chemical but its the only thing you should use on hard wood floors. 1 part windex to 10 parts water. Your not spraying it and its very diluted. Also, vinager and water are a great all purpose cleaner, and shaving cream and water work great on tables and counter tops...plus if you have kids, they like to play with the shaving cream.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• There are a lot of old fashion tricks, basically using things from the grocery store! Lemon juice diluted with water can clean the floor and windows. Baking soda or salt can help scour. I don't know much about the wood floors, though. I haven't caught on to this thought of not using chemicals... I don't use much, but I am guilty of liking the way it smells (I know I won't be liked now!) Anyway, There was a program on TLC that were older ladys that taught people how to clean their NASTY houses and it was interesting... Good luck.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 8:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I like the Method brand cleaning supplies. You can find them at Target as well as a few other places.

I personally think that using Clorox over everything after you've cleaned it is overkill, unless someone in your house has just had a nasty cold or you've had raw meat out or something. Those germs you are killing are part of your everyday routine. Your body is used to them, so they really aren't a threat (unless, like I said there's a nasty bug going around). Your body uses them to build up your immune system to prevent illness and to pass antibodies on to your baby. Once the baby is born (s)he will use them to build an immune system also. I'd go easy on the hardcore cleansers
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 9:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009