Is there any way to get help?

My SO and I are in deep crap. Since he works in construction, his hours have been cut back for the winter. I just got laid off my job. So now we're living off of $800 every two weeks. Last check wasn't even that much. Is there any where to get help? I need it bad. Our son has plenty of clothes, food, formula, etc but I have nothing. I literally dig through all of my drawers and have like one pair of jeans. None of my clothes fit since I've had my son and my old maternity clothes don't fit. I'm not saying I want to get clothes to look cute, I desparately need them. I want to ask family for help I feel so ashamed and embarassed about it, I don't even want to admit it(hence I'm posting anon).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• You should go to a state agency and see what kind of services that you can apply for. I know here in Oregon, they help people with health insurance, clothes, food, baby items, rent, etc. I hope you can find some help and don't be embarrassed. All of us need a helping hand sometime.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• First of all you should not be ashamed to ask family. I have before and paid them back. Try local churches... some have food closets and clothes also.... thrift stores... I have bought work clothes, dressy things in there for under 10 bucks. I work with a girl that shops there on a weekly basis and she lives in a $300, 000 house and drives a fancy car. She loves the thrift store.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• For clothing, I'd suggest going to Craigslist.com and search the clothing sections/free sections/ and post a wanted add. (Everything is free to search/list) I think most people are willing to help they just don't know who needs it. Good luck, and I really hope things turn around for you.
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 8:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• craigslist or the freecycle on yahoo. I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2 pairs of maternity pants and a few shirts and only 1 pair of shoes...it really sucks because my son is almost 5 months and it's embarrasing to only wear maternity clothes because I can't afford any more. We've tried the state but they haven't been much help for us...we're about to get evicted so count your blessings and be glad you have a roof. Mean while just look for free clothes at those 2 sites!
    Anonymous

• What size are you and where do you live? I'm giving away a lot of my clothing. There not cute, I'm 36 years old, its mom clothing, but everything is in good condition. I have a few things listed on KeeperBay.com right now and I'll have more later. I'll probably move everything over to StuckAtHomeMom.com so bookmark both sites so you won't forget them. There are also work at home jobs on both sites and all the jobs are legitimate, not GPT, MLM or other scams. No one will ever ask you for money to work at any of the jobs, paid surveys or mystery shopper jobs. I hope this information helps. Feel free to contact me, I won't tell anyone who you are, you have my word.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• try going to a thrift store... or if your son has clothes that don't fit you can take them to a consignment shop and trade for clothes you need... you if you live in western ny, i have clothes if you want to try some on... e-mail me your sizes...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Do you have a Dots store by you? The jeans are 16 dollars. Right now the clearance section has clothes for 3 bucks. Tops, pants, everything. They carry sizes from 0-24. The clothes are great and last. Some of the exact same thinhs as mandee and gap but SO MUCH CHEAPER!!!! You can spend 50 bucks and fill your closet, especially right now. The thrift shop is also a fabulous idea.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'm sorry your going through this, It's VERY stressful I know first hand! Have you considered checking out good will...I've gone there even when NOT in hard times, they have some pretty nice stuff people just give it away because it's too big or small...I've donated some nice stuff too..pretty much brand new! Where are you living...are you Canadian...or American?
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 8:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you tell me what size you wear I might have some things that I could send you.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2009