Baby's first word

How old was your baby when he/she said his/her first word? And what word was it? What did you do to encourage her to learn new words?

denswife

Asked by denswife at 8:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughters first word was Momma, at about 5.5 months. I read to her a lot, and i talk to her constantly. I also encourage her to make new sounds, all the time, which helps to develope their vocabulary. I also mimic her... that helps to develope it as well.
    clarasmommy08

Answer by clarasmommy08 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughters first word was Ba-ba at five months. Then came mama. The only way you can encourage new words is to keep talking to them. You may feel kind of silly, but explain with words everything, from what you're doing throughout the day to what you're cooking for dinner to playing with your baby while you talk to them.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sing and talk and read to the baby. I don't remember when the first words started. Just for fun let me tell you that an old wives' tale is that if the baby says mama first that the next will be a girl, and with dada it will be a boy. Wasn't true in my case. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• First actual word was "Shit" only because my dh was upset about something that day and he said this word. He doesn't say it anymore our baby that is...lollaughing

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well my daughter has never known her dad, only for 2 weeks when she was 3 months old, and i had been saying mama to her like 50 times a day for like 4 months, well when my daughter was about 7 months, ironically, she said Dada out of the blue, i was so happy but a little disappointed to lol, but now she says mama. and to encourage her to say new words i usually will pick up an item and say its name slowly : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009