Is it Possible to breast feed and be pregant?

I'm really worried about this... I still Breast Feed my daughter and she is 15mos and I'm trying to wean her off right now before the baby comes? Can you have a miscarraige by doing both things? PLEASE HLEP!

Abbysmom08820

Asked by Abbysmom08820 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You cannot have a miscarriage and there's no harm in being pregnant or TTC and breastfeeding another child. It's perfectly safe and natural.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The idea that nursing causes m/c is untrue. Nursing does cause uterine contractions, but they are mild and will not cause m/c. It's fine to nurse during pregnancy (unless you have a high risk condition that makes it unsafe such as preterm labour.) HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm still nursing my 33 mth old son and I'm 37 1/2 weeks pregnant.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• just wanted to agree with hgibsonorc
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I did it. Ended up weanning my oldest but he was 2 1/2yrs and I just needed a break. Here is a link with facts on it http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/links-nursingpregnant.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Unless mother has a history of pre-term labor, it is perfectly safe and natural! Breastfeeding during pregnancy and moving on to tandem nursing is a wonderful way to meet the needs of both children, foster sibling bonding, and ease the pressures of sibling rivalry..not to mention how healthy and soothing continuing to nurse is to your toddler!

Related articles: www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html and www.llli.org/FAQ/tandem.html
    For info and support: www.cafemom.com/groups/lllcafemom

catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son is 22 months old and I'm 34 weeks pregnant. There is nothing wrong with it unless you have preterm labor history. And no you don't have to wean unless you want to. I don't plan to, we'll be tandem nursing.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You are fine. Lots of women nurse throughout pregnancy. Just make sure you are eating as healthy as you can. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Aboslutely! I got prego when my son was 9months old and I was BF about 8x/day. I BF him until I was 12 weeks prego and now I have a perfectly healthy little girl. You can def continue BF while prego, you just have to watch out for cramping and moniter your weight....one of the reasons I stopped BF my son was because I was loosing way too much weight.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009