My 1 year old has exzema and spreading...

I've taken her to the doctor and the 2%cream that was given to me doesn't do anything,A&D ointment or moisturizing her skin with lotion and the antibiotic...well she start's a real bad tantrum any advice?

bella08

Asked by bella08 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How often do you bathe her? What's the water like?

Medium warm baths every 2-3 days is plenty. For soap try using Aveeno for sensitive skin. It's fragrance-free and dye-free. Also use their lotion directly after the bath. We use it about 2 times a day on our kids.

Your laundry detergents and fabric softener can be irritating her as well so try getting something that's hypoallergenic.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You have to be really careful with what kind of lotion you put onto someone with excema because most of the sting and burn really bad and when you find a lotion that works there is a good chance that it will only work for a while and sting and burn thier skin the next time you use it. There are special excema creams out there but are similar with lotions as far as helping, burning and working 1 time and not the next. Everyones different though so you'll have to play around with it and figure out what works for you.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 9:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• cont.
    What I've found that works best for my daugher long term and with out pain is having her soak in the tub until her fingers start to wrinkle and then putting on a healthy amount of Eucerin original moisturizing creme (the kind in the tub, not the tube or other containers), before her skin has a chance to start drying out. The down side is that it's a really heavy cream and my daughter feels caked in it. The other option is using extra virgin organic olive oil, the down side of that is it has a slight odor and feels greasy.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son gets irritated skin on and off, sometimes quite badly, and I use Aquaphor lotion on it. It's a little expensive and looks kinda gross but seemed to help a lot.
    Nicole813

Answer by Nicole813 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I soak my son in a warm bath until he's nice and wrinkled and then grease him down with Eucerin as well. Usually i lotion him down at every diaper change, it seems to help. You just have to find a lotion that works for her. So far we've done really well with Eucerin.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Eczema is allergy related, not a dry skin issue. My daughter had it terribly all over her chest and abdomen. I did use only non irritating creams and soaps, such as goats milk soap and Eucerin or Aquaphor lotion after bath. But the cure was Zyrtec and a prescription cream called triamcinolone. These 2 things together cured it when she was 2--she is 4 now and I haven't dealt with it since!
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009