How do i get my baby to eat more regualr food then bottle?

My son is 10 months old he eats fully solid foods no problem. a few months ago he ate his 2nd stage vegies and food fine but now he demands only his bottle. I tried not t o give him his bottle thinking eventually he'll get hungry enough to eat regualr food but, he takes a few bites and turns away. Then he gets hungry to a point were he get histerical but still wont eat regular food. Eventually i give and give a bottle after which he is perfectly fine. i dont know what to do to start eating regular food more. Im worried his not getting the nutrition he requires.

litan23

Asked by litan23 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, anon, you really started something. Breast might be best, but this is a forum where women are looking for advice, in one of the most challenging and rewarding times of our lives. This is no place for judgement, to breast feed or not is a personal choice, and can be really hard without support. Formula or boob, it' the mothering and love that's the most important thing of all

Don't worry litan, the formula will give him everything he needs, i'd stop offering the food and try just eating in front of him (nonchalantly don't make a big deal about mummy eating)if he shows interest put a little blob on his high chair table and let him scoop it himself.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 9:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• He would be getting the required nutrition if you would have breast fed him.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, what was the point of that? To make her feel bad? The kid is 10 months old, is she supposed to spontaneously begin lactating because of your comment? I would call the pediatrician and ask their advice.

runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 8:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well thats a lil bitchy. have u talked to u r doctor yet?
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• As long as he's receiving formula (or breastmilk...anon8:38 you don't have a stinkin' clue what she has in the bottle) in the bottle, he's receiving all the nutrition he needs.

Talk to your pediatrician, first of all. The way you wrote, he's had a regression with his eating...probably nothing but a phase, but bring it up at his next visit.

Could he be teething? Mine didn't like to always eat when teething.

Is he still on babyfood solids? It's not totally clear to me by what you wrote. (sorry) Try finger foods/table foods...allowing him to assert his independence a bit.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• even at the age of ten months breastmilk(or formula) should be the primary 'food' source.
    solids are like dessert. you should always offer the bottle or breast before offering solid food.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Meh.. I happen to agree with the first poster..

I don't know anything at all about any benefits of formula, but since you chose it, I'm guessing that you believe that it is equal to breastmilk, so therefore, doesn't it stand to reason that he can live off of formula just fine?

Babies weren't created to live off of solids before a year old- even up to 2 years they still need breastmilk to supplement..
    Given that it is cold and flu season, and he's just had the stress of the holidays, I'm guessing he's more interested in comfort food.. Solids before a year are really just for experimentation purposes..
    I've got a 10 week old kitten, completely weaned from the breast, but not even she's ready to live off of adult cat food yet. We need to feed her kitten food.... Babies are much the same- except for longer.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• first of all regarding that comment i was breast feeding my baby till he was 3 months old after that i stopped lactating, in my family its common for women to stop lactating after about three months. Even in the beginning i tried but didnt lactate enough. i tried to for as long as i could. some people are so ignorant. Not everyone is physically capable unfortuanlly. anyway they just tell me to keep trying and i do he was eating fine a month ago all his veggies sweet potato, but now he just keeps demanding his bottle. i try to make it as tasty as i can but nothing works he just gets histerical and then i give in.
    litan23

Answer by litan23 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sometimes little ones do regress in response to stresses, perhaps this is what has happened. I was wondering about teething or sore throat, but the more I think about it, the more I think it is just a return to a previous stage that will correct itself when things have settled down for a while.

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i'm really not trying to be rude, i just want to clear up a misconception...
    it is actually quite RARE for women to be unable to lactate, or to produce milk.
    in fact only about 4% of all women are unable to produce milk. (current estimates run between 2% to 5%)
    i am NOT knocking you for you choice or whatever i am simply posting this to share information.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009