Runny nose for a month?!

My little man (15 mos old!) has a runny nose. No fever, no cough, no irritability or any other symptoms. Just a runny nose for a whole month!! It's weird!!! Should I treat it or just keep wipin up the snot?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 8:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter is 18 mth and it seems as if she has had a runny nose forever as well, I have noticed that when she is not teething her nose is not running and when she is teething the nose his running. Now she is teething with not one, two or three teeth, but alot, so I just give her nose drops (saline) to keep her from getting any worse
    determind

Answer by determind at 9:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• As long as it's running clear (or mostly clear) then he is probably fine.

Really thick yellow or green snot is sign of infection.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Most doctors will deny that runny noses are associated with teething, but I know so many babies who always have runny noses when teething.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I cannot remember if they have to be 2 yrs. for Zyrtec, but its great.. His nose running is from hismucous producers in his nose being over stimulated, which is due to something he is sensitive/allergic to. Teething is always a possibility. I have heard that when a child cuts teeth, the body reacts the same as if it were sensing an allergen, so histamines are produced, and the nose runs.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It could be teething. does he have any food allergies? My son had a runny nose FOREVER. Finally (for other reasons) I had a RAST done and found out he had an egg allergy (and a few others). After eliminating eggs from his diet the runny nose went away.
    Anonymous

• have you started doing more dairy? That could be what is going on. Try cutting down the dairy
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009