Does your toddler spit out chewed food?

My 2 and a half year old has recently started chewing a bite of food then spitting it back out on his plate. He does it with food he likes even. He'll eat like half then start spitting bites out and then eat some more of it. He won't tell my why he's doing it, but it's really starting to annoy me!! Does your LO do this? What can I do to stop it?

bltcahill

Asked by bltcahill at 8:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's a phase. my dd occasionally does it too. Sometimes I think she overstuffed her mouth and then spits it out, or the texture of over chewed food bothers her.. I am not too worried about it though.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter used to do it. It drove me crazy. I just kept telling her nicely to stop and after a while she said ok and has not done it since.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my guy does it... but it's always when he's put too much of it in his mouth, especially cheese! but he usually takes it and eats it again! gross!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter is the opposite She will put food in her mouth chew it all up and just leave it in her mouth. She won't swallow it. She keeps it in there until I tell her to eat it. Sometimes she eats it other times she just sits there until I make her spit it out. Sometimes she gets down from the table with food in her mouth and I don't notice until a little bit later she comes to me and won't say anything because she has stuff in her mouth. At least she doesn't talk with her mouth full right? lol Seriously though this phase is annoying!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 9:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When I worked in daycare there was a 2 yo little girl who held food in her mouth until it liquified and then she would either spit it out or let it run out all over her. UGH! It was awful. It must be the age group, learning foods, flavors and textures. Trying to decide what they like and don't like.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my son does the same thing.. ugh it drives me crazy. all in all i just dont give him more food if he spits it out at the end of his meal if he is still hungry i will give him more food know that he wont spit it out. my other pet pevee when he eats is when he makes a slurry of food and whatever he is drinking.
    MamaMcGovern

Answer by MamaMcGovern at 11:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my 16 month old does the same thing, he doesn't do it near as much as he used to, just with certain foods like goldfish crackers, even though he loves them, he puts too many in his mouth and just chews it then spits it up? could it be your lo is putting too much in her mouth than she can handle? just give her one bite at a time and if she spits it out, don't give her another one til she wants it. if their hungry they'll eat it, if not they'll play with their food. your lo also might not be too hungry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• LOL!
    T - I just posted the same thing in one of our groups!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Thank goodness someone agrees with me I'm. Thankful I now have good ideas to fix issues I'm dealling with the spit outs with my 2 year old as well
    mommy201087

Answer by mommy201087 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I am having the same issue with my two year old and it drives me crazy. I feel like she is not getting the correct nutrition because she is spitting the good stuff out. It scares me, but from what I have been told its a common stage that toddlers go through. I am new to this cafeMom and I must say I truly like it, because now I dont feel like my baby girl is a weirdo lol....and i dont feel alone in these matters...thanks ladies
    Mckinney721

Answer by Mckinney721 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2012