Which would be more accepted by God?

Just a hypothetical question to see what others think. Which is better, someone who doesn't believe in God but still lives their lives in ways that would be considered "Godly" (caring, compassionate, honest, etc), or someone who believes in God and attends church religiously but still sins even if they know it is bad (like theft or adultery or murder, etc), but asks forgiveness for their sins continually? I don't know anyone like that but it just popped into my mind and I thought I would get some opinions!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 8:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A person who goes to church, asks forgiveness for sins, but continues to go out and do those sins doesn't really know God and doesn't have a relationship with Him. Like NikkiMom said... when you form a relationship with God, you no longer want to sin. Yes, all of us slip up..but I'm talking about slipping out a curse word or having a mean thought....which is different from someone being a drunkard who cries out "God, get me outta this and I'll never do it again!" or someone who is an unstopable gossip. That is referred to as "practicing" sin.
    So my opinion is, that God loves both of the people in your scenario, however He is probably equally displeased with them. Remember, the Bible says "all of our good deeds are as filthy rags".... meaning that good deeds alone cannot "earn" you salvation.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Someone who doesn't believe but has the qualities of a decent human being.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Based on your question the person who doesn't believe in God is the better person because its better to be honest and caring than a hypocrite.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i think your mom sounds like a better person.
    Anonymous

• I would look in the index of the bible, but I am pretty sure it says the latter of the two even though I find that very unfair. The Bible says that the only way to get to God is through the son. This means that you have to ask for Gods forgiveness for your sins and let him know that you believe that Jesus died on the cross so that we may live in heaven.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Jesus said that we are going to be surprised by who we see in heaven. I think that means that there are some people who don't go around tooting their own horn about what a great Christian they are, and may not attend church at all, but follow the examples set by and commanded by Christ (ESPECIALLY the 11th commandment, which is that we LOVE one another as we love OURSELVES),are the ones who have a better chance of getting to heaven. Although it is by belief in the Son that we come unto the Father, and it is not by works that we get to heaven, I think our loving kindness here on Earth DOES count , is and will be rewarded by the Father.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• One interpretation of the scripture 'I am the way, the truth and the light, no one comes to the Father except through me' is that we become closer to God by being 'Christ-like' in our behaviour, not by being 'religious' in our rituals. I don't pretend to know what the afterlife holds, but I would like to think if there is a system of divine reward and punishment that being 'Christlike' is rewarded as much as being 'Christian' in the sense of going through the correct motions. BTW, I'm not saying that all Christians are going through the motions.... just heading off drama! When I hear this question it makes me think of The Godfather movies, where they are criminals with blood on their hands but also extremely involved in the church... I hope if there is a God out there he is not fooled by that!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• To answer this question, read your Bible. I don't think this is the most relevant question for or about God. God knows the heart of each and every person. The Bible says in Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace you are saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God". In other words, there is nothing that we can do, no amount of good at all can atone for any sin, small or big; whether it is telling a little white lie or premeditated murder. All sin is unacceptable to a perfect and loving God. That's why Christ was sent. No human could do what was necessary to remove the problem of sin. The only thing that would take care of it once and for all was to send His sinless Son to become our sin, and we became His righteousness.

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Doing good to and for others is something that God places into the hearts of his children, but it doesn't necessarily mean that every person who does good is a believer or vice versa. There are alot of people who are saved, but not born again. There is a big difference. Once saved, always saved, but it takes a real daily relationship with God if you are to be born again. Again, God knows where your heart is. You can do all the right things, but if they are for the wrong reasons, how right is it in the end?

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Another passage that helps to answer this question is 1 Corinthians 13:3. "If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." If someone does good in the name of God and doesn't really know God, God is not fooled by that. He's already told us that we were so full of sin that it blemished all of our good deeds and that we are saved by grace, through faith as a gift from God, that nothing we can do will save us. The only thing we have to do is accept the gift of His Son Jesus and mean it from our hearts and then we are saved.

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009