OK so I'm a single mom..

my sister is a single mom as well. her son is 3 now and he is the biggest brat the only way to get him to listen is with a "man's voice". Im really worried that my daughter will turn out this way and that I wont find a man to help me out. any other single mom's out there that have any suggestions on preventing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm a "halfway single" mom. My husband is in the Army and is ALWAYS deployed. I'm also a psychologist.

Little boys are different from girls. Boys NEED a male figure to relate to and identify with. Girls need a WOMAN to identify with. A man will be stronger and more commanding to his child bc that's just the natural way of things. The little boy doesn't really need a "mans voice" he needs a commanding presence that will encourage him to do the right thing... or else.

Your daughter shouldn't face that issue in any way. Girls tend to "work to please", and don't need a commander to tell them what to do- more of a guider, or a counselor. They search for approval more then boys do.

livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 9:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Every kid is different. They all need a parent- whether it is a team effort or just a single mom. Your kids will be fine! Take it one day at a time and do what you know is best for your daughter. You can't predict what your kids will do based on other kids. Enjoy what you have now- deal with the rest later!
    livn4hevn