My son has had an allergic reaction to his baby sun block, we have bought, he rubs his eyes alot in the pool and I can't stop him from doing it, any good sunblocks? Or a way of getting them not to rub their eyes?

He has tried water babies spf 50 sunblock, the spray kind, and the stick.

Asked by soon2bemom916 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't put the sunblock on a babies hands and forehead. I know it sounds stupid, but when I took my son to a part day enrichment they told me not to put it on their forehead because it runs into their eyes. Avoiding the back of their hands will keep him from rubbing it into his eyes also.

Answer by toni77 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I hate using sunscreen above the cheeks because, once you start sweating, it runs down into the eyes! What I use on my kids' faces is the Oil of Olay sensitive skin formula with sunscreen in it. That, or I make them wear a hat with a big brim. Usually both. :) In the pool, try goggles to keep him from rubbing his eyes. My kids are much happier with goggles on, though, yes, they are older.

Have you called a dermatologist for recommendations? Ours sells UV-protection hats, etc. I'm sure they are up on sunscreen products and skin allergies.

Answer by GwynCat at 3:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I use banana boat Kids Tears Free sunblock. My daughter is ultra sensitive to things and this works wonders and you can buy it at toys r us and babies r us in a double pack!

Answer by Babyduche at 3:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Oh plus they say not to put sunblock on any baby under 6 months unless recommended by the doctor.

Answer by Babyduche at 3:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i use bullfrog for my son. it was used on me when i was younger and i swear by it. i just recently upgraded to the spray on kind and it works beautifully. it dries almost instantly and it's not very oily (not getting in eyes) at all. just try not to put it on the back of the babies hands or close to the eyes. put the lotion on, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe your hands on a towel and then wipe it down again. that might take of any extra that hasn't soaked in.

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Just a tip, avoid the feet too if he is still at that stage where he believes his feet are delicious! Use something that is paba-free, if you aren't already. That may help with the irritation. other than that, speak with your doctor or a dermatologist. I use the same sunscreen you listed, so I can't recommend any others from experience. good luck

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• this may sound stupid, but try to minimise the amount of sunblock you uses. I put a shirt and swim trunks on my son. He also wears a hat. I only put sun block on his legs and arms down to his wrist and on his ears/cheeks/temples. WE also get right into the tub as soon as we come in. the longer the sunblock stays on the more likely it will irritate him. hoep it helps, good luck. enjoy the summer

Answer by colorsofgrey at 4:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2008