How long were you on Mirena before your periods stopped entirely?

I've been on it for a year and this is my first month without a period. I'm worried i may be pregnant, bc my mirena has been nothing but an issue for the last year. I don't wanna waste a pregnancy test trying to find out, but I wanted some opinions....

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 9:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• mine haven't...my mom has been on it for 10 years...and her's hasn't so im not sure that its true :S and you SHOULD take a pregnancy test it's not that much of a waste, especially if you ARE pregnant.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 9:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Mine stopped at 3 months
    caroline21

Answer by caroline21 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i had mine put in at my 6 week check up. i haven't had a period (she's 6 months old now) but i am breastfeeding (and that will make them stay away). because mine were always light my ob/gyn told me that i might not have one at all while i had it in.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i had a lite period for 3.5 months and then 3 yrs with no period but thought i was pregs all teh time becuase it made my tummy swell .... get a tester, dont worry, if it has been in for a year, it is very unlikely it came out or didnt work.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I was told it varies by each woman. I had one in for about a year, and my period never fully went away. It was lighter and lasted less days, but I still had it.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I've been spotting the whole time I've had it. I had it put in at my 6 week PP appointment, and my son is now 4 1/2 months. I also EBF.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• its different for everyone. my son is 20 months old, i had it put in at my 6 week pp apt. and havent had a period since. it is pretty unlikely that you would be pregnant but id buy a test anyway, atleast then you'd know.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• OP here.. so it sounds like I should expect a period of some sort every month, because if I haven't stopped my periods YET, they'll never really stop...? So skipping a period is a problem for me then...

The issue is, I got mine put in at 6 weeks PP and my husband was in Iraq, so I didn't have sex for 6 mos after I had it put in. It was fine back then. Then when he came home we could feel it moving around and it hurt. Not just the wires- THE WHOLE THING. Getting an appointment to have it checked out has been a hellish experience, and now I've missed a period.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009