How do you get a baby on a schedule?

I'm in need of a full night's sleep! How can I get my son to sleep through the night?

Keksgirl

Asked by Keksgirl at 9:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds is 7 months old and still doesnt sleep all night, he does sleep about 4 hours then needs a bottle or a daiper change........
    slowly over a course of about a week wean out night feedings, replace nursing with a pacifer or a bottle with water......something as a soother to replace the needing to eat at night just make sure they get the night food during the day......have a normal nightly bedtime routin.........routin in the day make sure baby gets plently of playtime to burn all th energy.......
    Not all babies slepp ALL night.......maybe you will be lucky...good luck to you
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 9:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my daughters got into their own schedule. get into a routine every night & stick to the same time (as best as you can!) see if that helps. good luck!
    CASSIDYSHEART

Answer by CASSIDYSHEART at 9:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have 7 months old twins a boy & a girl he sleeps gr8 from 9pm - 8am but my girl still waking up crying for a bottle or a change i asked my pediatrion she said if she is eating her full meals and playing during the day i can start to just let her cry until she falls asleep she really doesn't need her bottle....At first it was so hard to let her cry for 45minutes but after 15 minutes of crying she would fall asleep i would walk up to her room and look at her in her crib her eyes were closed but she was still crying i left after that she fell asleep so now i would wait for 20-30min. if she is still crying i would feed her...some babies stay like that till 9 months after that they stop..

ask your pediatrition.........good luck
    sweetiesttwins

Answer by sweetiesttwins at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes what she (franklynn) said! I always stuck a routine every day. My daugher will be 9 months Jan. 8 and she has been sleeping for about 3 months now. I nurse and just give her a nuk at night. She did go through a phase though with that seperation stage. I would not pick her up then in the middle of the night I would just put my hand on her then take it off lightly and take steps out the door slowly. This way if she would pop up looking for me I was still in the room but just a step or 2 away. She would look at me then lay back down and sleep. Good Luck!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Many moms have found that tucking baby in bed with them for the "family bed" is a good way for both baby and mom to get a good night's rest.."co-sleep if you want sleep!"
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You cannot force a baby to sleep through the night.
    Co-sleep and it will make life easier. You need only roll over to boob baby back to sleep. No need for you - or baby - to fully wake up. When you have to run across the house to tend to your baby, this deprives you and your baby of precious moments of sleep.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• (I would not suggest depriving your baby of food at night. When babies wake because they are hungry- it is best to feed them.)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You have to understand that "through the nite" for a baby is 5 hours. There's no guarantee that it will be at nite though. so you can't expect hime to sleep till 10 in the am if that's what you're doing. Otherwise, he'll get the hang of it. sometimes it takes a while for them to establish day/nite.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my son is 20 months old and still doesnt sleep through the night (he hasn't had a bottle since he was 11 months old). So...that may not happen for awhile. As for the schedule...my son just kinda set up his own schedule and i went with it. Follow your kiddos cues. :)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Depends how old your baby is. As a mother of five ,my third child seemed to get up more in the middle of the night to feed than my other kids when they were babies. She got up because she was hungry. Around 6 months old she still got up so I put a little bit of rice cereal in her formula and after that she slept thru the night. She was always and still is my biggest eater and she is not overweight.
    Angie32Red

Answer by Angie32Red at 11:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009