My dog has very white pale gums..

So here is the story..The day before yesterday and yesterday my dog has been sick, vomiting, hacking..And then last night I took her outside cause she was getting sick..she saw a skunk, attacked it and was sprayed. I've got her all cleaned up. but now her gums are very pale, pretty much white..I am not sure what this means or what to do. I know what your going to say like "take her to the vet." But we cant afford it since my s.o lost his job... we are very broke. Any advice on what to do or any other signs I should watch for? and please, no rude comments like "if you cant afford a dog, you shouldnt have one"...

Gavin101410

Asked by Gavin101410 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Some do take payments in situations like this. I would call the vet or some vets in town and explain. You can also call the SPCA in the area and explain the situation. You are not the only person low income with a pet these days. Times are tough. I am sure someone can help you.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• You can try this....

Go buy some plain pedialyte and get a baby medicine syringe from the pharmacy. Then give the dog one oz of pedialyte, put it between the teeth and the cheek, way in the back and make sure the dog swallows it. If the dog vomits, wait 4 hours and do it again. If the dog takes it without vomiting, then do it once an hour. Don't do more than that, just one oz per hour. If it is dehydration this should help tremendously.

In June my dad was dying and my mom's dog got really sick and was vomiting and had terrible diarrhea, he was totally listless and as on his way out. y mom couldn't leave my dad to take the dog to the vet and so she called and explained the situation to the vet and that was the vets advice.

Big hugs Momma. If the dog isn't any better by morning, take her to the vet.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• White gums means something serious is going on. It can be any number of things from anemia or internal bleeding, dehydration and more. Sorry but you need to get the dog to the vet asap. I do as much as I can at home with my pets including vaccinations so I dont tell everyone to take their animals to vet, this is not judgement ok? But this is probably very serious.

Answer by gemgem at 1:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• She is very very sick with white gums, possibly internat bleeding. Take her to the vet ASAP if only to have her put to sleep.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• dehydration? esp since the dog was vomiting.But the best idea is to go to the Vet-sorry.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• what should i do? she needs to go to the vet...but i have no money? is there vets that take monthly payments?
    Gavin101410

Comment by Gavin101410 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• Was she bit?
    Could she have ticks? (anemia)
    I second the ASPCA

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• try calling around because some will take payments or maybe even postdated checks. it could be Parvo....if she is getting sick like that. also, I once heard bout giving apple juice and that helps with some of the dehydration. my sis did that once with her dog when he was a pup and he had it...it helped some. also make sure that the dog doesn't have a whole lot of ticks, it could be a reaction to them. hope your doggie gets better. havin a pet is like having a kid and when they are sick you worry. good luck!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• If you have a good relationship with the vet he may let you carry a blance with monthly payments. Carecredit.com is another option. They often have 3 or 6 months no interest. Is the dog eating and drinking and eliminating normally?
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2011

• I hope you have talked to the vet and taken the dog in by now. That is not a good sign and the dog definitely needs to be seen.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2011