toddler will NOT try any different foods

I have a 4 yr old niece that will NOT try any new foods. She thinks she can live on chips, candy, apples, and popcorn. ANY suggestions on how to get her to try new foods with out having to starve her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have to stop giving her the junk first. Whatever you all make just offer it to her. If she eats it great and if not don't make her a special meal. Do that everytime you make breakfast lunch and dinner. She will learn to at least try it then she can truly tell you she doesn't like it.
    Anonymous

• She will not starve herself, although it may seem that way. I was a very picky child and I was bound and determined not to let my children be. I read and asked alot. The best answer I found is that alot of kids don't want to eat things that they are not used to. I would offer her a food that she likes with one that she hasn't/won't eat. The rule is that she has to try everything on her plate every time it is on her plate. If she doesn't like something she doesn't have to eat it after the first try. Offer that food every week, eventually most kids become more comfortable, and actually begin to like it. Keep adding new things. It worked for my children very well, they even like things like spinach and asparigus!!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Is she involved with picking/preparing the foods? I found that my son was more willing to try something new when he either helped prepare it (that's how he learned he loved broccoli) or help pick it out at the store (asparagus!). You might also try reading some books about picky eaters ("D.W. the Picky Eater" is the only one that comes to mind) to let her know that sometimes we can be surprised by what we don't "think" we like! And also to let her know that she's not the only one...it's okay to be picky.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Offer tasty, healthy food ONLY. If she refuses to eat, oh well. No child will starve when good food is available but any intelligent child will quickly learn that the soft adults around her will take pity on her and give her all the crap she wants to eat. Stop giving in.
    Give her choices like "It's snack time. Do you want an apple or an orange?" When she screams for candy, just tell her she knows what her choices are and when she's ready to eat one of them she knows where to find you.
    If she never picks one, oh well. Offer only good food at the next regularly scheduled meal or snack time. No "oh, I know you must be so hungry" sneaks. No giving in to "oh my I'm so hungry. Can't I have a few junky white crackers?"
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009