Moms with tubals-any one have to get

Just wondering if any moms who've had tubals had to get their husbands' permission before getting the tubal? I had my tubal 16 years ago in Pennsylvania and my ob said I had to have hubby's permission. I told him no way in hell was I letting my husband decide my pregnancies or not just like he didn't decide them in the past. My ob ended up tying my tubes for free without my husband's permission - i signed to disallow him that day to talk to my husband and my ob also gave me my tubal for free cuz my insurance would only pay for one operation (csec) at a time. Was any one else told to have a tubal their husband's permission was needed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes! When I first talked to my doctor, when I was 25, she said I would need his permission, have a second child, and be at least 30.

So, I got a new doctor. A few years later (after I had my 2nd child coincidentally) I had them tied w/o his permission. I was 28.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Really? What state was that? I was in PA and 38 y old and it was my third baby when that ob told me that!!
    Anonymous

• Hell NO! It's your body you don't need anyone's permission, you can sue them for even suggesting it. It most states you have to be over a certain age or have so many children, but you don't need anyone's permission to have a tubal or an abortion.
    My Doctor sent my husband out of the room to make sure it was what I wanted. I was laying on the operating table after having a csection still wide open and she told my husband he'd have to leave for a moment so she and I could talk. However, hubby and I were very much agreed this was what we both wanted. He was going to have the surgery, but my doctor informed me since I would already be on the table it wasn't any more of a risk for me to do it.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes, my doctor required his signiture. It prevents the husband from suing the doc for eliminating his parental rights. It's happened. Also the doc has every right in the world to require it, he can refuse to treat you as he wishes, just as you have every right to fire your doctor.
    Anonymous

• No, but I know the state of NY does this (according to a friend). I live in PA. I'm 26, and have 2 sons and I'm pregnant with my third getting a tubal in March right after my c-section. He said he doesn't need my husbands signature at all.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Is that sick or what, husbands have the *#$(*@#* right to decide to impregnate us or not even though 9 out of every 10 births end up for child's lifetime being the sole responsibility of the mother?? Thank God my doctor had brains and decided not to fight me. later the stupid dr after being told by me not to bring up an amnio and he agreed, did bring it up months later. I was hooked up to the blood pressure monitor and as he was asking me my pressure skyrocketed while I was telling him we already discussed this before and drop it. Well, after seeing how high he made my pressure go he never brought that up again!!! Don't mess with a hormonal pregnant woman guys!! it gets you noplace but hell.
    Anonymous

• When I was asked in PA it was sixteen years ago so things have changed since then. I didn't mind the amnsio question as much as I did the husband tubal question. That at least he honored his word on and didn't ask my husband.
    Anonymous

• "Is that sick or what, husbands have the *#$(*@#* right to decide to impregnate us or not even though 9 out of every 10 births end up for child's lifetime being the sole responsibility of the mother??"
    Anonymous

It's not sick at all. When you're married, you make decisions, especially important decisions such as the bearing of children TOGETHER. Just as I find it deplorable for a woman to get pregnant on the sly, I find it reprehensible that someone would decide unilaterally for both herself (or himself ... women aren't alone in this duplicity) and her (his) husband (wife) that there will be no more children without his agreement. It should always be a mutual decision.
    Anonymous

• nope i didnt need to get anyones permission BUT i was 24 with my 4th so they were probably happy to do that shit
    krazi_beautyful

Answer by krazi_beautyful at 12:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009