Head Start opening, How do I get 3 yr old ready..

There was a sudden opening in Our home town Head Start and got the call today that my daughter can start Jan. 19, two weeks! I was just wondering how you go about getting a 3 yr old and Momma ready for such a big change?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't need to work with her to make her "ready" for preschool! I have taught Head Start for many years. One thing that will help her when she starts is to take her to meet the teacher, kids and see the classroom before the first day if possible. Then on the first day it will not be a completely new experience. Get her a back pack if she needs one ( ask the teacher) and let her pick it out. She shouldn't need any paper or crayons. Talk to her about going to school and help her get excited about it! Let her know that you will be dropping her off, but that you will be back after she plays, sings, and eats a snack or lunch. Your child will be learning many new skills in all areas of development, but don't expect to see loads of worksheets. Children learn best by doing and using hands on activities. She will be learning much needed social skills and how to follow rules and routines from another adult.
    Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Is HeadStart like preschool? I got a preschool workbook at walmart before my daughter started.. but then I realized when she started going, they weren't learning such advanced stuff.. seems like she's almost forgetting things!
    Take your daughter to the park, let her interact and play with the other kids.. that always helps.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Even in 4K they seem not to work on what we would assume the more cognitive aspects of 'learning.' The learning that they do is social interacting, taking turns, mathmatical concepts through puzzles-making sure they know tha basics, shapes, colors, numbers-counting. It is pretty much looks like 'playgroup' till kindergarten.
    kcjones78

Answer by kcjones78 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009