My son loves to stick his fingers in the fish tank and put trash and other things as well, how can i get him to stop? because i dont want to spank or yell all the time. please help....

leslie83

Asked by leslie83 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make the lid so he cant get in there to it
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Move the fish tank.

If it's in his room, take it out. He's too young to be left unattended with a pet.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Put a lid on the fish tank or move it to a place where he cannot reach it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• put it up.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 9:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Move the tank.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If he's opening the lid, put a baby lock on it. I can think of several types of standard cabinet locks that might work.
    If it doesn't have a lid, put a lid on it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Move the fish tank.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Offer him water play time at the sink instead. When he's going for the fish tank, just gently take him away and tell him you don't want the fish hurt, then fill up the sink and give him different things to put in the water so he can experiment - he's just being a scientist and exploring the world around him. Offer his ways he can do this without hurting the fish.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Constant reinforcement of the rules. It takes a while but it does work. I had this same problem over the holidays with the in-laws fish tank. That tank wasn't going anywhere and trying to lock the lid didn't work and was a major inconvenience for everyone. So I ended up watching my dd like a hawk and just kept at reinforcing "No Touch" and "No hands in the water." By the end of our stay, she could sit and watch the fish without trying to tickle them out of the water.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009