my son is almost 5 months. i was just wondering when it was time to start giving him baby food. he has tried pers and apple sause and seems to do fine. but hes my first so i wasnt sure

misspierce

Asked by misspierce at 9:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a month ago..the doc tells u this
    Anonymous

• My son is 5 months old and he has been eating baby food for 2 months now.... He is on stage 2 now for bananas now...... but you could start with stage one now.... he probably wont eat a whole jar at first
    Anonymous

• I am starting now. She is about 5 and a half months old.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I started my first daughter at 3 months she has done great. Don't get discouraged it takes a while to get them to understand the food goes in not out. My new 3 month old I don't think is ready so.... just put your baby in the high chair or booster and be consistant and patient. Good luck!!
    toohartless

Answer by toohartless at 10:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It is best to wait until baby is 6 months old. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Most health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests babies have only breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• anytime between 4-6 months but you dont have to right away. you can start out with rice cereal so they get used to swallowing, if you wit til after 6 months they may not learn the correct way to swallow.so youre fine
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You shouldn't be giving your baby any solids before 6 months. That is what the US Department of Health and Human Services, the World Health Organization, and UNICEF all say. After that it's whenever you think your baby is ready. My son didn't have anything but breastmilk until he was 8 months and was still not all that into solids. Now at a year he eats everything! Check out this article on why you shouldn't give solids before 6 months:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Ok, I had to laugh at another poster's answer. How would a baby "not learn the correct way to swallow?" That is so silly. Like there are a lot of people around who have to be fed intravenously because they haven't mastered swallowing due to a "late" introduction of solids! ; ) Where do people come up with this stuff? 

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with the pp...My daughter was born huge and she ate so much breast milk and was always hungry and contrary to pretty much everyone's advice (except the doctor and my family) I put just a little bit of infant rice cereal in her bottle to satisfy her...it was pretty much the only way she wasn't hungry every 45 minutes. She started on stage one baby food when she was between four and five months because she started not being satisfied with breast milk and rice cereal. Now at 7 months she eats 3 stage 2 baby foods and a couple baby crackers everyday. She has a big appitite...just goes to show that every baby is different.
    jocelynvlong

Answer by jocelynvlong at 3:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• realistically 4-6 months.

It depends when the baby is ready.

I think it's funny when people say "the US Department of Health and Human Services, the World Health Organization, and UNICEF all say..." because those people have never met you or your baby, and don't know what's right for YOU and YOUR baby. They may know what's "safe" for babies in generally but every baby is different and every mother is different. So do what YOU and only YOU feel comfortable with. Not what the moms on here are comfortable with.

julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009