I have a 2nd grade daughter that I just signed consents for the psychologist from her school to do the next series of tests on her for gifted. Can anyone give their experiences? Advice?

She goes to Belcher Elementary in Pinellas County, FL for any local moms

Ejayde5801

Asked by Ejayde5801 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The screening for the gifted program usually consists of an aptitude test, teacher rating scale to identify leadership skills, exceptional talents, etc. and State acheivement tests results. Don't feel bad if she doesn't meet the criteria for gifted. Many students in the second grade don't meet the criteria but may at a later date. Uusally an IQ score of 118 is the minimum score for meeting the requirements. Some states also use a test of creativity that broadens the eligibility possibilities. Sometimes a label of "gifted" can cause some new problems for students such as expectations and the stigma attached to the label. There are pros and cons to consider.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Advice: don't make a big deal of this. Pressure doesn't help performance. You want her to look at this as fun. So I wouldn't put any emphasis on it what so ever. Also a good nights sleep for several nights before this takes place. Children her age need an optimal level of 12 hours to sleep for best performance. A good healthy breakfast and lunch if the test if for after lunch. Don't do tuna that week or that day. While tuna is usually considered brain food most tuna sold in the US contains extremely high levels of mercury and interferes with cognitive functioning, particularly the tuna in the can. So stick with organic healthy foods and make sure she is relaxed, has had fun recently as a form of relaxation, well rested, and her body has the right fuel. Then cross your fingers.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• cont... If she doesn't make it - not a big deal. Again, as the previous poster said, there are indeed some pros and cons. Also, I know first hand that some of those tests are geared and biased towards a specific population. So it is not a reflection of her creativity, her talents, or her intelligence. It is simply one program among many.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When we went through this I let my daughter decide if she wanted to do it and we didn't make a big deal out of it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009