• In the Spotlight:

How long can you Breast Feed?

Watching that show with mothers Nursing children into the later years of 8 to 10! How can you? Each Time my Daughter did that she just dried up! Milk came Early for her Preemie! But didn't last long for her Term Baby either! Why?? Curious... I know she's Poor & her Diet isn't the best being poor but she's Healthy!!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Health

• 12 months minumum for me, and that was fighting low thyroid the whole time. She decided to self wean just after a year. Bad nursing strike, and still 3 weeks later she has not come back to it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son is 17 1/2 months and still going on boobie milk. He loves it. I love the bond with him too.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 10:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Been doing it for 17 months. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Hi Linda, The most important thing is to stay hydrated. The milk should come in then. 8 to 10 glasses of water a day. I nursed all three of my children until a year or longer and I enjoyed the bonding while nursing. It's so relaxing and is good for the baby and the mom for many reasons. It is a sacrifice though, but I was willing to do it each time with no problem. Of course you have to watch everything that you ingest while nursing so there is extra care to be taken while nursing. It is well worth it.
    LiveLoveLaugh

Answer by LiveLoveLaugh at 11:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I nursed my daughter until 12 months and stopped because I was pregnant again. At 7 months my son didn't want to nurse any longer. I think I was too slow for him. I don't think I could nurse much beyond 18 months. I would just feel really funny about it. Once they are no longer babies, I think it is pretty strange. I totally understand why aboriginal women nurse longer. There are all kinds of nutritional uses and it provides some measure of birth control. However, in our society there is no actual need to nurse children much beyond a year. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best though. Just because it wouldn't feel right to me, doesn't mean that it is wrong.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009