Stripping or sweeping membranes

Tomorrow I want to talk to my Dr about speeding things up with my labor, and have done some research on stripping membranes, but haven't been able to find anything reliable. I don't like hearing most women, and usually, ... so when there's no hard numbers I feel like there isn't a good enough awnser. I've read that recent research hasn't been able to prove that this method even works, and that a lot of health care providers wont even do it because its practically an old wives tale. What are your experiences?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wish, wish, wish, doctors would NOT do this anymore. My sister in law and I were pregnant at the same time, due dates 2 weeks apart. I wouldn't let them touch me! She had them try to do this like 3 times. Anyway, she'd go home and cramp all day and the next. I went home from appointments and had peace! So, she went into labor ON HER OWN, without this working, and I had my baby 13 days later. My point? The baby will come when it wants to, and there is no need to put yourself thru this unnecessary pain. If you want to talk your doctor into something, see if you can get an agreement for induction if you go over your due date. Somehow, when the babies know that they are going to get "kicked out" they seem to move out on their own! Good luck.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 10:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• nothing will work if your body isn't ready. stripping membranes has like a 45 percent success rate, but can also increase your risk of infection etc... or it just not work and you go through all that pain for nothing.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• There are no guarantees, but statistically, it does help. I wasn't dilated enough to actually have my membranes stripped, but my doc did a "rough exam," which means they basically irritate the cervix to encourage it to dilate and to stimulate contractions. Ultimately, baby will come when he/she is ready, but it can help some women. It is quite uncomfortable, and can make you cramp for awhile after.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They did that to me too and it didnt do anything the only thing that happened was i lost my mucus plug but no labor no contractions so we went on with my induction 5 days later
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They did it to me twice, and the baby did not come out until she was ready. Oh, and it hurts like a bitch. =] My hubby's fingers got crumpled. But, like you, I was going to try and get her out (I was past due)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009