How can I get my dogs to quit chewing!

I have 2 dogs Wally is an 9 mo old Jack and Bruiser is a 6 mo old Boston terrier/shiztu they che on every thing but mostly wooden things dresser bed couch legs kitchen table and chairs! I have no Idea how to get them to stop! please any onewh can help please do!

proudusarmywife

Asked by proudusarmywife at 10:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pets

• They sell stuff at the pet store for that. You put it on the objects they chew and it tastes bad so they stop. It's worth a try. I haven't used it, my pup "grew" out of it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• ive heard when you catch the dog(s) doing this youre supposed to give a loud and firm NOO..and then distract them with one of their own toys that theyre allowed to have..

and also that you need to teach the dogs the "leave it" command...one lady suggested to me to have two dog toys..one in each hand..and have some dog treats with you, but hidden inside your hand..and bring one hand to the dog and say leave it, then if they back their head away you say good dog, and give him a treat from the OPPOSITE hand..and vice versa...that way they learn to leave stuff alone..

ive also heard that when you catch them doing something wrong to clap your hands and say (reallllly loud) AH AH AH AH AH...but ya say it reall quickly and fast and LOUD!!

hope that helps..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i agree with the firm No and Redirection to their toys..thats how i taught mine. also teach the leave it or drop it command..and Lots of praise when they do leave it and play with their toys!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Bitter apple, works wonders. Costs 4-5 bucks, goes a long way. It would work a lot better than eying your dogs waiting for them to chew and trying to keep an eye on kids toddling around.
    Spray it on electrical cords legs of furniture, whatever you don't want the dog to chew.
    kcjones78

Answer by kcjones78 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The recommendation of telling them NO and then actually giving them something that is OK to chew on is good advice. But, be aware, they are puppies and puppies can chew till they are 2 yrs old. It's just like kids who chew when they are getting teeth. That's pups for ya! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• They're teething, I agree with anon. Give them a lot more exercise, like walks or running in park. They won't be up to being as destructive.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 3:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009