• In the Spotlight:

I would like to know how working moms do it? How do you balance work, being a good mom when you're dead tired because your little one doesn't need as much sleep as you, being a wife who doesn't bite the head off of your husband because you're crabby due to lack of sleep, and on top of it resist/give into the urge to have a little brother or sister because the maternal bug is bitting again? Please help!

I am very tired and crabby a lot of the time because my beautiful 9 month old son Nicholas doesn't sleep well through the night yet. Also, my husband and I are both crabby so we don't communicate with each other very well. I just don't have the energy right now. Is this a phase? I'm sure it is but how does one balance it all?

polishprincess6

Asked by polishprincess6 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You take a very deep breath and a LOOOOOOOOOOONG bath! Remember to take time for yourself, it is VERY important!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You have to make small changes that work and stick to some type of schedule. I work full time and I have 5 boys at home between 3 & 17. I manage but my DH helps alot with housework and the boys help with chores. I know you have a baby but he can sit in the floor and play while you do things around the house. Make sure he is not sleeping to much during the day and do not put him to bed early. You need to take care of yourself and if there are dishes in the sink when you go to bed, they will be there when you get up. Make time for you and DH and try small things and remember what works for YOU and YOUR family.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Well one thing I did when I started to really lose it was ask my husband to switch nights getting up with our daughter, we both worked and every other night I got a full nights sleep. You have to look at your life and see where your husband or other family can help and don't feel bad about asking. Take time for yourself the house does NOT have to be perfect. If you can get a maid for yourself even if it's only once a month do it, or switch with a friend. One month help her get her house clean next month she can help you and you can get in some adult conversation and a clean house. Don't be afraid to ask friends for help or take a day off work just for you and get a pedicure. Your job would rather have a rested you there than a groggy, grumpy, mess. Believe me I've been there, and remeber a rested happy you is better for your children, husband, and job so find out what makes you rested and happy and do it often.
    toohartless

Answer by toohartless at 10:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I find time to take to myself... baby free for at least an hour. And the house isn't very clean either... I just don't care. As long as things are "good enough" I don't stress about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• first remember that a lot of parents divorce because the stress of a baby breaks them so please please please communicate! Here is my thing...i know i will be hated but it worked for me and what works for me may or may not work for you. When your son wakes at night let him cry. if he cries for more than 15 min then get him. most times they fall back to sleep and if he doesnt he will learn. At 9mths they have the capacity to go atleast 8 hours without eating. and if he wakes and knows that he is going to be attended to he will continue to do (wouldnt you?!) then you will get him in the habit of sleeping all night, and then you do too! and then take a little me time and everything will fall into place! good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If you email me I have a very good explanation and some very good advice. It would be too long to write it here, and i have to go get my little one right now.
    greenshotmama

Answer by greenshotmama at 2:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i am so with ya on this....i work full time on the midnite shift at a place that i am not really appreciated...i been there four years, and i have a 2 yr old, and 7 yr old, and a dh . they all want attention and need tlc. so, i leep only a lil in the day...go to bed at about 3pm and wake up at 8pm to get ready for work, go in at 930 pm and get off at 6am. then do it all over again. i want whats best for my family, so i give them my time when i can, and this usually ends up backfiring, cuz on my days off i can fall asleep in a second. but i do not want to neglect them and not have a life cuz of my job.
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009