Haggling in Mexico???

So I am going to Mexico and was going to pay for all of my activities ahead of time because I can get 20% off.
Well, somebody told me it would not be wise to do this, because of the rough economy. They told me that I would be able to haggle with people and get a better deal when I got down there.
What do you think? Does this sound right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Entertainment

• Um, its really really bad down there right now according to my uncle, so I would be super careful about everything you do. Haggling doesn't work as well as it used to and when I went to Cozumel people were all up in my face trying to get me to buy stuff. When I spoke Spanish it was worse. I don't know where you are going, so its hard to give you super accurate advice. Good luck!!!!!!!!
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 1:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Last time I went to Mexico the deals were NOT great at all. I was in TJ though.

Also crimes to US citizens or anyone even Mexican citizens is up right now, so be careful. I would look online and try to find the Government site ( Possibly tourism) with tips on traveling right now.

Also avoid wearing pricey jewels, and flashing cash.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Personally, I would not plan a trip to Mexico now or in the foreseeable future. The level of violence and unrest that is the current climate there make it an unsafe place to visit. If you must go, dress very casually, don't carry much cash (and definitely don't pull out cash in front of anyone), avoid any secluded areas, don't wear any jewelery or watches that look even slightly expensive, even if they are fake. Same goes for clothing. Avoid any areas of obvious conflict, such as demonstrations. Email yourself digitally scanned copies of your identification and passport, and give your complete itinerary to several people you know that will be here in the states. Never go anywhere alone. The more people with you, the better. If you're bringing children, never ever leave them unattended, even for a few minutes, even in the hotel. The number of kidnappings has risen repeatedly in the last few years.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• As far as haggling, it doesn't happen the way it used to, and it could even create a conflict that could endanger you somewhat, so I wouldn't do it. Better to save yourself than save money, I always say.
    jespeach

• i dont think you can haggle for activities, i know you can and should for mechandise. i speak a lil spanish. and i could understand the shop keepers yelling stuff at me and dh in cancun like "come over here so i can rip you off!" lol i thought the shopping was way way worse than the carribean.... if you can get a 20% off now then i would do that. where in mex are you going?? i wish i was, ice storms in ohio made me call off today.... i would love to fly somewhere hot!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009