Need help from a military mom

I don't know where to post this.

I'm working with a family right now. Husband is a vet, wife is on medicade, 2 young children. Both parents are a little slow and sometimes misunderstand information they are given so I was hoping you guys could clarify.

They'd like to attend marriage counseling but they tell me they can't because his vets insurance will only allow him to be treated at the VA hospital, which doesn't offer marriage counseling. They can't go somewhere else because he won't be covered and they can't afford to pay out of pocket.

Does this sound right? His insurance only covers services from the VA hospital?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2011 in Military

• Not to muddy this up, but if they are religious they could always go to the clergy at their church if all else fails.

I hope you get some answers. It's nice of you to help them out.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2011

• sounds about right
    Keepitsecret

Answer by Keepitsecret at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2011

• He has tricare and he just needs a referral. He can also go to a church like Quinn said. That is where DH and I went to marriage counseling for free.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2011

• Thanks ladies. That is helpful. The church idea is good...and i'll find out if he can get a referral.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2011

• SOME counselors will give family/marriage counseling if one spouse is on medicaid because it is in the best interest of the patient. As far as VA insurance, I am not sure. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:54 AM on Nov. 4, 2011

• You could try Military One Source also.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2011

• IDK, bumped ya
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

• You might have to dig a little deeper and not take the first answer you are given. The VA contracts with a ton of other services for their vets. I work at a homelss shelter and its amazing the services that are provided thru the VA. You just have to know who to ask and to keep digging. Its a typical bureaucracy. Until the right swtich is flipped, you dont get the right answer. GL
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

• Is he retired military or just out of the military? My dad only served 2 years and he uses the VA for tons of stuff (makes me want to barf btw)...he doesn't have Tricare.

You might also have them look into Catholic Charities. I don't know what might be in there area, but they offer all kinds of help to anyone.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

• Is he retired military or just out of the military? My dad only served 2 years and he uses the VA for tons of stuff (makes me want to barf btw)...he doesn't have Tricare. You might also have them look into Catholic Charities. I don't know what might be in there area, but they offer all kinds of help to anyone.

Just out of the military. Cathloic Social Services in our county doesn't provide marriage counseling :(

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2011