pumping

I pump brest milk for my baby when ever i go out so he can eat. whats the right way to store breast milk. do i have to let it cool before putting it in the fridge?

hmomr

Asked by hmomr at 10:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No ...you can store it right away. It can be in the fridge for up to 8 days (not in the door.) and in the freezer for up to 6 months (not in the door.) Once you thaw it out of the freezer it should be used in one hour. Hope this helps. And as long as it is in a cool area you can keep freshly pumped milk for up to 12 hours. just don't refrigerate or freeze it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• This is straight off the Medela Breastmilk Storeage Guidelines Magnet:

Freshly Expressed Milk -

Room Temperature = 4 hours
    Cooler with ice packs = 24 hours
    Refridgerator = 5-7 days
    Self contained refridegerator = 3-4 months
    Deep Freezer = 6-12 months

Thawed Breasmilk (Previously Frozen)
    Do not store at room temperature, in a cooler, or put back in a freezer
    Can be stored for 24 hours in the refridgerator
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 11:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• if it is going to be used in 24hrs the fridge is fine and no you dont let it cool put it right in, if you are storing it it goes in the freeze because it can last 6mths to a year but its like the stores...first in is first out and make sure you date them!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I usually follow something close to what MommyJanelle posted. The book that came with my pump, my breastfeeding book, the information with my storage bags; they all say something different. They're pretty close to those guidelines, though. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2009