How do I begin the pacifier weening process?

I'm ready to get started on weening my almost 2yr old off of the pacifier. I've tried cutting the tip off as I've heard and read all over the internet but that only made her more angry and upset. I've also been trying to take it away from her when she gets up in the morning and at naps. She does okay in the afternoon after nap but when she gets up in the morning, she's a monster. She also wants to continuously eat or drink if she doesn't have the pacifier.... Any other suggestions? Can use all the help I can get!!

MorgansMommy

Asked by MorgansMommy at 10:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was going to say cut off the tip lol. I would just take it away. She will get over it.
    Anonymous

• I think you may just have to tough it out mom, the monster part.But what about putting something on it that tastes bad?U could ask your pharmacist what you could use that is safe for toddlers.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We slowly weaned him of it. We restricted it to just bed time then he "sold" his binky for toys at Toys R Us. I would say distract her with toys and activities. Dont use food as a way to calm her addiction.LOL
    mom2boyjuly07

Answer by mom2boyjuly07 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Here's what I did with my son....I played up the whole big boy thing. In your case big girl. He got to help me put groceries away, little things like that because he was bigger. And I asked him one day if he was a big boy or if he was a baby and told him that only babies have pacis. Well he was all about being a big boy and so I told him that big boys throw their pacis in the trash. So we went through the house and got them all and he threw them away and helped me take the trash out. He asked about them for a couple of days and I told him he threw them in the trash because he's a big boy now. It worked well for me.
    Good Luck!
    airmanswife1006

Answer by airmanswife1006 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well we are having the same problem with our son, about 2 weeks ago he losed his and for 2 nights and days he didnt have it at night he asked for it for about 30 to 45 min and then would fall asleep well the 3rd day he found it under a chair and we stared back on it again go cold turkey is what we had to do for about a week you do have a little sleepless nights good luck.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• ALL ABOVE ARE VERY GOOD ANSWERS, BUT I THINK JUST TAKE IT AWAY AND SUFFER FOR A WEEK.. JUST LIKE THE BOTTLE THEY DO GET OVER IT.
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 11:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing and i bought one that my child don't really like, and it limited her use to just to go to sleep, but i even want to be over with, and i can't just let her cry for a week that's more stressful than her having it, but i want to take it when she can understand that she don't need it, am i crazy?
    Edanap1988

Answer by Edanap1988 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i know it sounds mean but take it. all together take it! she will throw a fit and cry but dont give in. I promise it will only last a few days. My sister had to do this as my neice would NOT give hers up either. she tried everything, even giving it to santa for another baby. but my sister finally just took it, she cried for like 3 days when she wanted it not the whole time and then it was like a switch turned off and she never asked for it again. Believe me if you dont get rid of it now she will always win. My cousin is going through the same thing with her almost 4 year old! they give it to her to keep her quite. Also, I am a dental hygenist and it will make her teeth crooked! adn that is expensive to fix! its worth the couple days of crying! good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• will i took away my daughter pacifier at 9 months old. doctor said it was going to be bad for the teeth and it will harder to get them off when they are older
    i explain to her that she can only use during the nap time and bedtime and can not use around the house. so when she wake up i take away and leave in her room. and after sometime she doesn't use any more.
    there a book i got from the liberty for kids look it up it about bunny who got pacifier when he was born and when he got older he start leaving in his room and when his aunt had baby he give the pacifier to the baby.
    i am sorry i do not know the name..
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2009