I need some help from some moms that stayed home for a little...

My daughter is 8 months old and I have been home with her since she was born. This is what i have always wanted a baby and to stay home. i have been baby sitting for 2 years now, and the little girl i watch i love like she is my own also, but she is 2 and is really good for 2, but also at the same time is driving me to drink! (not litteraly) Anways my delema is this..I was recently called by 2 friends of mine that i used to work with and they want me to come back to work, and i loved my job. I told them i would consider it if i could work 2 days a week and my sister could keep my daughter. well they are interested and my sister can! But i am torn. My head and heart say do it because it would be good for me and my daughter(she is a MAMA's baby so it would do her good to be away for a little) but my gut says i am making the wrong decision. PLEASE HELP!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 11:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh mama take the job! it is 2 days a week and here is the thing, you are teaching your daughter many lessons.How to be a great "stay at home devote life to her "mom and also a "look I can be a great mom and show my child women can have it all "mom. How lucky are you? I would do it as scheduals do not come along like that often.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• sorry i have to say this too...your daughter is going to benefit from also spending time w/her aunt.think how close they will be ?@ dats away from her a week is such a small amount and I think you can benefit from the "grown up" time.kwim?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• sorry I mean to say 2 days away
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I know i feel the same way but i tried to go to work once before my daughter was born and i didnt last 3 days, but i also didnt get to see my hubby because he was on night work and now he is on days. i just worry that i will get into it a couple weeks and decide i would rather be home with her and then im screwed because i quit my sitting job and it is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack where i live to find kids to baby sit! but thanks that helps!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You need to do what is best for you and your baby. I am sure that if you give enough notice to themom you are babysitting for she will understand. Honestly, it seems like you feel like you have an obligation to the child you are babysitting for. Reality...the only obligations you have are to take care of yourself and your baby. I agree that it is time that she spends some of her time with your sister. The day will come when you have to take her to school the sooner you expose her to being away from you the easier it will be on her. She will probably go through some kind of separation anxiety but she will be OK!!! Bonus...extra income!!! I am sure you will look forward to that. If you don't need it for monthly bills you can use it to start a college fund for your daughter. Go for it Mama!
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Honestly I work two days a week away from my kids. It was hard at first but you get used to it. Remember this is the time to get away and relax at work. Your daughter may need some time to get used to other people like her aunt to bond with. I say take it, but it's totally up to you.

PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I say do it. If you liked your job, and not many people do, and they will work with your schedule and you have family to watch your little girl.... that is a lot of things in your favor.

Won't the little girl you watch be going off to preschool soon?
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would take it.. it's more money to spend on your DD and it's good to have some mommy free time for both you and her. and it's only 2 days... enjoy it :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would go back to work just for a break. All mommies need a break. I work two days a month aside from selling candles(which is also fun and gives me a break) and it helps me a lot. I think of all the pretty things I can buy my baby girl while working. Work is a good social event too. It will make you feel better : )
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I left my full time job 10 years ago and I get calls at least 4 times a year to come back. I've only ever taken part time or short term jobs and projects since becoming a SAHM. It's the ideal situation. It gets you out of the house and into the real world, brings in a bit of money, allows you to keep up your skills, will look good on your resume when/if you ever choose to go back full time, and it is so important to show our children that we work outside the home also. I think you should go for it.
    Anonymous