• In the Spotlight:

What is the best or good way to explain a mens. cycle to my daughter????

My daughter just started hers, but she hasn't said anything to me about it, but I noticed....

SarahD3

Asked by SarahD3 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Get her a copy of "The Care and Keeping of You". It talks about everything that is going to happen to her body but doesn't go into sex.

AND GET TALKING! This is your first big test. Can she come to you with embarassing problems? Will she? Get talking now and keep talking over the coming months and years. This is not ONE talk. This is a lifetime of talking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• There is a website that makes it a little less scary. it is BeingGirl.com
    When my sister asked me for advice about periods, I used it as a reference point (she was too embarassed to ask my mom)
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 1:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would seriously consider having a nice conversation with your daughter. If she's old enough to start her period, she's old enough to get a boyfriend and get pregnant, and you should want to be included in her life. I can't imagine not even telling my mom when I started mine.
    Try to get more involved in her life, one day she may need more than just a mom, she may need someone with experience to talk to about life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• >

I got her a book, THE CARE & KEEPING OF YOU. THE BODY BOOK FOR GIRLS, by American girl, I got mine from bath and body, than I just got a new one called All the maners a girl needs.

If u can't find it at a book store or Bath& body here is their PHONE # DONT GET CONFUSED ON THEM SENDING U MAGAZINES 1-800-845-0005

WEB SITE MIGHT HAVE IT americangirl.com

kittycatwomen

Answer by kittycatwomen at 8:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Keep your communication open.  When I started my period I kept it to myself because I was so embarrassedto share with my mom.  I actually used toilet paper for a pad, when my mom finally realized I came home with a box of pads on my bed.  My mom still said NOTHING! I have always been rather open with my daughters, they knew about their menstruation before it happened. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hi. I took my daughter to lunch and made it a big deal. It was actually nice to have this talk in a public place - as strange as that might seem. She had her guard down a bit. I told her my story, as well - what I remember about when my period started.

Then once her period started, I also made it a big deal - because it is. She sent me a text message from school when it started. I saved it. It was one of the sweetest moments I have ever had with her. It really can bring you closer. I also took her out and got her a gift. She wanted Ugg boots. They were pricey - but I thought of them as a birthday present.

I also made a point of checking in with her every month to make sure she was adjusting OK. My daughter is a swimmer, so we had the joy of teaching her how to use tampons from Day 1. She was a trooper!

Best of luck.
    SuchaSmartMom

Answer by SuchaSmartMom at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Does your daughter know what's happening? I didn't when I started, even though I'm sure my mother told me about it before. She was always open with me.

My daughters have always had questions and I answer truthfully and at their age level. They noticed feminine products in my bathroom and asked what they were for. I explained that when a girl begins to become a woman, her body begins to prepare for someday having a baby. I used the very basic "cell from the mom and cell from the dad" to explain pregnancy and that when there is no baby, the woman's body has to start all over--then PERIOD! I didn't talk about sex until later on.
    Since your daughter has already started her period, it is imperative that you talk with her. She needs the right information from you ASAP. And like others have said, it's a great opportunity to get closer to her, woman to woman.
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 6:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I work with teenagers as a career and from my experience, they just want you to be straight forward...and do your best not to show her that you're nervous (if you are). This will be the conversation (first of many) that opens that door telling them that they can come to you with anything. My mom was very open whenever I had questions, even at a young age. Some might fear that that might cause a child to have sex early - but just the opposite is likely. I didn't have to go searching for answers I found easily in my own home. I was secure in myself and didn't feel the need to have sex before marriage.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• if your not comfortable talking to her about it or vise versa I beleive Tampex or Always has a website where they send you a kit and booklets. You could always order one box it up nice like a present and leave it on her bed with a note saying if you have questions please ask?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2009