Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Who do you contact to find out where your property lines are?

i am trying to find where my property line is in the back....i found the marker at the center point and tried to use the lot diagram we got when we bought the house to calculate where the lines should be on either side. it has weird angles and i had no luck locating the other markers. who would i contact to mark our property lines? i want to plant a tree in memory of my mother in the back yard close to the property line on one side and set up the grill close to the property line on the other side. i'm just clueless as to who handles these things lol. thanks for any suggestions.

Answer Question

Asked by princessbeth79 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 28 (35,371 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • call your city planning and zoning office ...

    Answer by LeJane at 9:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • Call a Surveyor. They might be listed as an engineer or a land surveyor.

    Our survey cost $1250 to get lines for a 50x100 foot lot. It's a lot of money, so perhaps you can just guesstimate and save a bundle!

    Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • lol well i don't want to guesstimate and plant on my neighbor's property. they would take me to court and that would also cost money.
    @lejane....i guess i could call the county (we don't live in the city limits)

    Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • If you can't get a free line drawn by the county (and good luck with that!), why not speak to your neighbor and decide on a boundry?

    Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • @goodybrook......well i know right off the bat that wouldn't work. they insist that my tree out front next to the driveway is on their property when it was placed there by the builder (along with the sod) while their house was still under construction. they even had the sod cut so it followed our property line. but suddenly it's their tree......we have issues lol. so that's another reason i want to get the property marked.

    Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • "Good fences make good neighbors"

    Hey, what about contacting the builder, since it sounds like the property is fairly new?

    Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • If you already have problem neighbors I'd pay for the survey then build a fence on the line.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • The county assesor should have an exact map.... you don't have to pay for it. Then you save everyone time and fights (I have seen some really dumb law suits over a tree).

    Answer by amazinggrace83 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • When we bought our house last year (new construction) they gave us a paper that had the surveyors results and exact property lines marked on them. You might already have the info you need in your paper work (though the laws about property lines are really anal here in Alabama)

    Answer by elizabiza at 11:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2011

  • I would pay for the survey it is the only 100% way to have alegal record of your property lines.
    Also remember that just because your contractor did the sod dosnt mean it was put on the exact ptoperty line our developer messed our road and put it in the wrong spot so tehinanaly half of our front yard is the neighbors across the street. We are waiting for the county to replat the subdivision because we have a larger lot now and theirs is smaller our situation needs to be fixed for tax reasons

    Answer by mtnaspen at 9:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.