Isnt it normal for my 2 year old not to know colors and shapes?

I was just wondering. He is 2 and a half now and doesnt know that stuff.
Whats "normal" for this age?
THanks

ReadyToRage

Asked by ReadyToRage at 11:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes that is fine. They usually teach that stuff in preschool and even in kinder still. Though usually I think most kids pick it up naturally by then.

Give him a little more time. When you talk to him use descriptive words like " bring me the RED ball," etc..

Draw pictures and say the name of the shape, do paints and name the colors etc...he will pick up on it naturally that way.

Also reading books, getting toddler puzzles are great too.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The range of normal is huge and will get bigger for the rest of his life.
    It is very, very normal for some kids to know there colors, shapes, letters, numbers. And it is very, very normal for some kids to not care.

What can you do to encourage him?
    Have a color of the day - use only that color playdoh, crayon, or paint, find that color in his story books and out shopping
    Have a shape of the day - draw that shape while he scribbles, find that shape in things
    Have a letter of the day - draw that letter for him, find it in stories and on street signs
    Have a number of the day - draw that number and the same number of dots, find that number on things, count that number of steps while walking
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Pick one for each day - though you can do the color of the day everyday if you want.
    He'll get it when he's ready. As I said, some kids just don't care about such a abstract concept when the world is full of things to do and explore.
    kaycee14

• sounds normal for him. my daughter goes through stages. one stage she will love to learn the names of animals, and colors, etc.. the next stage she focus' on her physical devlopment. it's been like that for a long time lol. She has been working on speaking in full sentences lately, but still no interest in shapes haha
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My little guy wasn't good at that till after I introduced playhouse Disney to him. There is a matching game on there called goof's shoe round up. GREAT! He can match all the shoes up till level 4. It's cute watching him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It depends- are you attempting to "teach" him?

There is no "normal" - it varies..
    My 2 1/2 year old was counting to 13 (because we had 13 stairs) before she turned two, and knew her colours, and what a circle was.. Now she knows more, of course.. But we label things constantly..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• He's fine. They aren't really expected to "learn" them until preschool...

Label, label, label...when playing with his blocks, "let's put the green triangle on top" Just things like that and he'll pick it up eventually. But there's no rush....

My 2 year old can't get his colors straight to save himself...but he's OBSESSED with shapes! He carries his doodlepro around and we have to fill it with shapes or he will bug forEVer..."more dape, more dape" LOL It got to the point that he now knows trapezoid, parallelagram, hexagon, pentagon and oxtagon! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• can he do other things like,build a tower or put on a shirt.some kids learn to do other things first then colors,shapes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• He is fine if he doesnt know all that stuff right now. Some children take their time when it comes to learning new things and catch on quickly when they are ready. As long as he knows them before he enters school he will do great. It took my youngest forever to learn how to write his name and it killed me so bad because I work with children so he was expected to know more. Then one day he just started writing and hasn't stopped. To help your son thou when ever you ask him for something try to ask by color or shape.
    tabbykat377

Answer by tabbykat377 at 6:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• normal I have one that just turned 2 and he doesn't know any color but red and yellow, why because he has red and yellow trucks. He only counts to three because when i want to get the kids to do something or to knock it off I say 1-2-3, he can only say abcde and then the rest he jumbles up to the tune of the abc song. Some kids don't learn this stuff till much later on and some don't know it to kindergarten. So your son is normal.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009